Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hmmmm...Trung or Davis?

marsbennett

I peeled the name off the back of the jersey I had of SD. It hurt, but it's a fact of professional football. preseason games are not even dress rehearsals, let alone season's games, BUT you still want some form of continuity when the coach yells "ok let's see some fire out there guys!"

Those little 30, 40, and 50 yard crisp drives whenever they want to, score or none, mean the most. It means when it counts and when it's the season, the guys will respond in kind.

Scoring 200 points in the preseason, early burn out and the big head will not mean didly on Opening day.

Originally posted by BodyBagGame

Bang, you made some interesting points so if you don't mind...

Is the media really that powerful? I would put some of the blame at Snyder's feet; it's hard to build when you are constantly starting over (with new head coaches).

What I mean is, the media will sit back and take potshots at the Redskins constantly when they sign free agents. they will say things like "You can't just buy a title" and "Team chemistry is important and can't be bought by money" and "Snyder's going to have to learn it takes time for a team to gel"

Yet when he signs all these guys, there is a decided second tone in the media, one of "Snyder has to win it all now, or be a laughing stock." "The redskins free agents better perfomr now, or it's all a failure"

I remember after the second loss to the Eagles last year both Arrington and Spurrier made comments about the Eagles having a decided advantage because they had been together for so long. So I was very surprised when the Redskins brought in so many additional free agents. I thought that they would take a more incremental approach.

It's a time game. Spurrier has a five year contract, but has sworn to have things on the right track in 3, or he's gone. The Redskins have a lot of holes. Going into this offseason their interior ol was a shambles, their RB was departing for reasons monetary, their DL was shakey, they had no kicker, and they had one WR of note.

Suppose we take the incremental approach. We draft. Out of the 7 round draft, we get 3 guys who becme starters of note (in a perfect world). Ok, so now we have to wait until next year to build some more. Draft again, hope we get 3 more guys who can play... meanwhile Bailey must be dealt with, Samuels must be dealt with, Arrington must be dealt with. It takes too long to fill the many holes we have to do it this way. As it is, we've had three strong drafts and this year we made a splash in the free agent market. Last year the market was quiet.. Trotter fell in our laps, and Wynn was about the only other sizable deal. Every one of those Gators signed on for a one year deal to fill the many holes left behind by Marty's purge.

I have heard this before, and while I haven't looked at the Skins' cap situation, is this really true? If so, then the Skins are basically given two years to win a Super Bowl before having to dismantle and start over (I'm making the assumption that a Super Bowl is out of reach for you this year.) This seems like a very risky policy.

3 years is a rough estimate. If we don't have a trophy by the end of 2006 than the face of the team will change considerably.

There's a few schools of thought in how to manage a team in today's NFL what with free agency and caps. One is, be conservative,, save cap room, draft and build. Works to an extent, Philly has a ton of cap room, drafted well, and has gotten close, but not over the top yet. The Bucs, conversely, bought their entire offense, including the coach.

The Redskins employ a strategy that seems to mix drafting and free agency, filling fast, trying hard, and once the contracts get cumbersome (about 3 years from now in the current state) then it's time to retool, and rebuld. Take the cap hit, and start over. That's what the Ravens did, and it paid off for them.

Free agency and the salary cap are still in their infancy, in terms of NFL history. The NFL is historically slow to learn. The "Blow out the cap to win now' strategy was employed successfully by the Niners and Broncos in the early days of the cap. Teams are slowly coming around to different ways to manage the cap and still win (see Philly). Which strategy is recognized as the best is still undetermined.

The 49ers also proved that climbing out of 'cap hell' doesn't take that long. I think it took them 2 years to be a playoff team again. The Redskins went all stupid in Free Agency back in 2000, to which we were all warned that in 3 years the cap would crush us.... Marty cut a lot of fat in 2001 and put us in the cap hell early, which enabled us to make a lot of the moves we make now.

As far as changing coaches,, Spurrier is the guy Snyder wanted the day he bought the team, and wasn't able to get him. In terms of Turner and Marty,, both deserved the firing they got. Understand though that it was Marty as GM who got fired, and Marty the coach quit as a result. (He wore both hats)

Keeping a team together for five years or so is practically impossible these days. Those that do usually do it by backloading contracts to extend player's stays with the team. The team ends up paying for it for the requisite 2 or 3 year hell, so it is in reality quite a long time to get back to square one. (See Dallas).

~Bang

Archived