Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fantasy Football Question. Please help!!

bigchuck

Im in a keeper league and would like to hear from you all who I should keep. Im allowed to keep 3 and ive narrowed down my choices to the following:

Kurt Warner

Jeff Garcia

Curtis Martin

Anthony Thomas

Jerome Bettis

Jeremy Shockey

Please state why you would keep them as well.

I appreciate all the help:)

The only clear-cut keeper in that group is Shockey as he is clearly one of the top 3 fantasy tight ends along with Heap and Gonzalez.

I am concerned about all 3 ofr your RBs. Bettis' role will likely be reduced with the emergence of Amos this year and he is also rather injury prone. Martin may also see less carries this year and I worry about that line with the loss of Thomas. Finally, Thomas is not guaranteed the starting job and will probably split time in C-town as well.

Of course, Warner is risky as well. Accordingly, I would rank them as follows:

1. Shockey

2. Garcia

3. Warner

4. Martin

5. Thomas

6. Bettis

I would keep the following

1) Warner -Should have a huge year now that he is healthy

2) Garcia - Proven over the last few years he is a fantasy stud. Owens and Streets are happy with Ericson's pass happy offense

3) Martin- wasnt as good last year but still goes over 1000 yards. Should see more running this year being healthy

Looks like you need some help at RB- especially for a keeper league. Maybe you can trade Warner or Garcia for one, even before the draft? Like if there's a particularly weak team- you could trade Warner and Martin for a better RB, and then keep that RB, Garcia and Shockey.

Without a trade, that's a tough call and might depend on who else in your league is going to be available in the draft. In most leagues, RB is a lot more important than QB, so it's not ideal if you're keeping both Warner and Garcia (who both have question marks) and no RBs. I would probably keep Martin, Shockey and whoever you think is better between Warner/Garcia.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((advice from a pro.))))))))))))))))))))))

garcia is the better QB now even if they have a new coach.....warner now has to look over his shoulder.

thomas will get 1000 even if kordell sux....doubtful though

shockey...who doesn't want him...come on....

martin should/ might get 1000 though jordan is the back of the future......very questionable.....i wouldn't take him.....

bettis is not the man any more...800 max

first off, there is a fantasy football forum for questions like this, although there isn't a lot of traffic. and this advice is coming from someone who has never finished worse than first in a fantasy football league. check out my team in the fantasy forum, give some feedback if you can.

well, the clear cut keeper is SHOCKEY... despite what all of you naysayers think. he dominates his position unlike any of the other players you have. and he'll put up numbers as good as any of your potential RB keepers... which means there are about 20 other RB's that will post better numbers than Martin, Bettis, Thomas-- keep the TE!

your second best is one of the QB's. garcia has been putting up great numbers and has a premier WR to throw to, but his back has been bothering him this year. still, he is worth the risk.

your third best is the other QB. warner is another who can post #1QB fantasy numbers, given his health and pass blocking is sound. he is still better than any of the other guys on your team. he and garcia should provide some security at the QB position for your whole season.

and dude, you must have not had a good season last year if that was choice of keepers.

Originally posted by theposse

Looks like you need some help at RB- especially for a keeper league. Maybe you can trade Warner or Garcia for one, even before the draft? Like if there's a particularly weak team- you could trade Warner and Martin for a better RB, and then keep that RB, Garcia and Shockey.

Without a trade, that's a tough call and might depend on who else in your league is going to be available in the draft. In most leagues, RB is a lot more important than QB, so it's not ideal if you're keeping both Warner and Garcia (who both have question marks) and no RBs. I would probably keep Martin, Shockey and whoever you think is better between Warner/Garcia.

Thanks Posse

II like that scenario. I may consider it. If these fools will pull the trigger.I will do it. I play with a bunch of punks who dont like to mix it up so I'll see.:redpunch:

Originally posted by theposse

. In most leagues, RB is a lot more important than QB, so it's not ideal if you're keeping both Warner and Garcia (who both have question marks) and no RBs.

I think this statement needs some explanation. IMO top flight running backs are more important than top flight QBs. This is because the deviation in point totals b/w top QBs and second tier QBs is not statistically significant. Conversely, there is a much larger difference between the point totals of top tier and second tier running backs. That is why drafting a top tier RB such as Tomlinson, Portis or Williams is so important.

However, in your case, your roster does not contain any top tier RBs. At best, Martin is at the top of the second tier though he likely will be pushed for playing time this year. Thus, though the general rule is that RBs are more important than QBs, I don't feel that would be applicable in your case.

Likewise, the other position where there is, perhaps, an even greater deviation between the top tier and second tier players is at tight end. I would most certainly retain Shockey as you will win the point differential at this position almost every single week.

Finally, I do agree that if you retain both QBs (as i suggest) you may wish to look to move one (or both) of them for a top tier RB if one is on the block.

Good Luck!

Do you have to protect three of these donkey's? Shockey is the only true "keeper" you have. Do you have any young talent? Thomas is a bust and may be benched in favor of Adrian Peterson. Bettis is basically done...will be behind Amos. C. Martin is risky, but a better bet than the other two even though Lamont Jordan is breathing down his neck.

I would probably protect Warner just because the upside of the Rams doing well is huge...if he can revert to old form, then he will put up huge #'s. I think Garcia's back problem could turn out to be serious.

Originally posted by Bufford T Justice

I don't think it matters how great the TE is.....he's still a TE. A QB and RB should always be able to post much higher numbers.

Of course they do. However, he would obviously draft these positions from the remaining pool. Let me give you an example, let's say that Curtis Martin produces an averave of 11 point per week in his league. However, he fails to retain Martin but instead picks up Candidate from the remaining draft pool. Candidate only averages 9 points per week.

However, he retains Shockey who averages 7 points per week while the other available TEs (if he would have retained Martin) average only 3 points per week. While he lost overall scoring by this move, he actually achieves a net gain of 2 points per week after the draft.

Of course these #s are purely hypothetical but you get the idea.

Originally posted by AJWatson3

first off, there is a fantasy football forum for questions like this, although there isn't a lot of traffic. and this advice is coming from someone who has never finished worse than first in a fantasy football league. check out my team in the fantasy forum, give some feedback if you can.

well, the clear cut keeper is SHOCKEY... despite what all of you naysayers think. he dominates his position unlike any of the other players you have. and he'll put up numbers as good as any of your potential RB keepers... which means there are about 20 other RB's that will post better numbers than Martin, Bettis, Thomas-- keep the TE!

your second best is one of the QB's. garcia has been putting up great numbers and has a premier WR to throw to, but his back has been bothering him this year. still, he is worth the risk.

your third best is the other QB. warner is another who can post #1QB fantasy numbers, given his health and pass blocking is sound. he is still better than any of the other guys on your team. he and garcia should provide some security at the QB position for your whole season.

and dude, you must have not had a good season last year if that was choice of keepers.

Youre right. I inherited this team from a friend of mine. We placed last but i will turn this franchise around. Thanks for the advice.

Archived