Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Cowboys give WR Miles Austin 1st, 3rd-round tender

tr1

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jQG9WJdK2ZMrgnFD8xlMi7gDyEPQD9E85N580

(AP) – 8 hours ago

IRVING, Texas — The Dallas Cowboys gave restricted free agent Miles Austin the highest possible tender offer Thursday, requiring any team that signs the Pro Bowl receiver to give up a first- and third-round pick as compensation.

The move, which was expected, likely means Austin will return to Dallas next season. He's essentially been offered a one-year deal for $3.168 million, but team owner Jerry Jones has said he'll consider giving Austin a longer, more lucrative contract.

The Cowboys made tender offers to 11 of their restricted free agents and signed another to a one-year deal. The only player left out: kicker Shaun Suisham, who struggled after replacing Nick Folk late in the season.

The only other restricted free agent Dallas gave a first-round tender offer was defensive tackle Marcus Spears. However, his was at the "original draft choice" level, which is for less salary and a second-round compensation if he signs elsewhere.

Six players received second-round tenders: safety Gerald Sensabaugh, defensive ends Stephen Bowen and Jason Hatcher, nose tackle Junior Siavii, receiver Sam Hurd and center Cory Procter.

The rest of the tenders were to center Duke Preston (fourth round), safety Pat Watkins (fifth) and offensive tackle Pat McQuistan (seventh). Those three, and Siavii, were all tendered at the "original draft choice" level.

Cornerback Cletis Gordon wasn't tendered, but re-signed for one year.

Dallas also has two exclusive rights free agents (defensive back Alan Ball and linebacker Steve Octavien).

The club's only unrestricted free agent is guard Montrae Holland.

Fantastic news!

Jerruh thinks he's got a SB roster...again...and has already forgotten that humiliating defeat to the Vikings.

Let's see if pukes get to play Philly four times this season.

I think the tenders are actually pretty fair......At a spot with most of the players if another teams wants a player they a getting him for a fair deal but Dallas gets a pretty decent draft pick for him so it works out for both teams......If another team shows no interest in any of them Dallas gets to keep all of then without breaking the bank for the players, not counting Austin who will get a new contract anyway

I think the only player that wont return will be Spears, I think some team will grab him up quick for a second round pick

Fantastic news!

Jerruh thinks he's got a SB roster...again...and has already forgotten that humiliating defeat to the Vikings.

I don't get this thinking. For most of the players, all the tenders mean is that if another team wants them, you get a draft choice back if you don't match the contract.

It's not a guarantee that the tendered player will be on the roster next season.

Wrong.

"One of the things I'm the most sensitive about, even with myself, is to think, 'well, we've got something good going and let's just ride this thing on into the season,' " Jones said. "It's going to be just the opposite.

"After the Minnesota game, we weren't close enough and good enough for anybody to get comfortable about where we are," Jones said. "We've got to do something to change that. Again, we feel good about the system we're in right now and have got some guys under contract. But it wouldn't surprise me to have 10 or 11 new faces on our team."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/columns/stories/030110dnspocowjerry.1629fd083.html

I think the only player that wont return will be Spears, I think some team will grab him up quick for a second round pick
I seriously doubt that. This draft is pretty deep as far as defensive tackles go. I'd rather use the pick and take my chances with a much cheaper and younger Lamar Houston or Tyson Alualu

Archived