Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Seen and Heard

Thinking Skins

I dont know if this has been posted before, But I know I hadnt seen it. If it has been posted, I mean its a positive article from the times. You dont see too many of those.

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20030807-112752-1967r.htm

Seen and Heard

No rest for the weary

Every day, several players don't participate in practice due to various injuries. That doesn't mean, however, that said players aren't working hard on the field.

Witness Darnerian McCants, the second-year wide receiver who has been out most of this week with a strained hamstring. McCants did not participate in team drills yesterday afternoon. Instead, he ran wind sprints for about 30 minutes straight.

At first joined by running back Ladell Betts (sprained elbow) and defensive back Lloyd Harrison (shoulder surgery), McCants ran from sideline to sideline in the south end zone. After a few minutes, Betts and Harrison stopped and watched practice. McCants kept going. By the time he was finished, he had probably done the sprint a good 25-30 times.

So next time you see a player listed on the injury report, don't assume he's slacking off.

Nice mechanics

Rookie passer Gibran Hamdan looks really comfortable throwing the ball. Despite being in coach Steve Spurrier's system just a few months, Hamdan easily drops back with the ball next to his ear, just the way Spurrier teaches.

Perhaps most impressive is the smoothness of Hamdan's release. There's no hitch. From holding the ball next to his ear to follow-through, it's one straight, crisp motion. That saves a split-second that could come in handy on Sundays.

"You want to get the ball out quicker," Hamdan said. "It makes things so much better. You're able to keep defenders off receivers for just that [split]-second longer. That makes a big difference."

Double grande Jackson latte

Having labored through two-a-days for nearly two weeks, it's natural for some players to start dragging a bit.

That's where Hue Jackson comes in. The Redskins' offensive coordinator is a human Energizer bunny, constantly running from one player to another to offer encouragement.

Nothing gets the former running backs coach excited like the sight of one of his tailbacks bursting through the line of scrimmage. "Oh, yeah!" Jackson will exclaim after a nice run by Trung Canidate. "There it is!" he says as he races to give Kenny Watson a high-five.

All of this begs an obvious question: How much coffee does Jackson drink every morning?

"None, I don't drink coffee at all," he said. "This is all natural. It's just in me."

There is a method to Jackson's madness. It's all about setting an example for his players.

"If I'm going to ask those players to come out there and give everything they've got for as long as we're out there, then I have to make sure I'm doing it too," he said. "It goes hand in hand. We as coaches set the tempo. The players follow."

No rest for the weary

Each day several players don't participate in practice due to various injuries. That doesn't mean they aren't working hard on the field.

Witness Darnerian McCants, the second-year wide receiver who has been out most of this week with a strained hamstring. McCants did not participate in team drills yesterday afternoon. Instead, he ran wind sprints for about 30 minutes straight.

At first joined by running back Ladell Betts (sprained elbow) and defensive back Lloyd Harrison (shoulder surgery), McCants ran from sideline to sideline in the south end zone. After a few minutes, Betts and Harrison stopped and watched practice. McCants kept going. By the time he was finished, he had probably done the sprint 25 to 30 times.

So next time you see a player listed on the injury report, don't assume he's slacking off.

Nice mechanics

Rookie passer Gibran Hamdan appears comfortable throwing the ball. Despite being in coach Steve Spurrier's system just a few months, Hamdan easily drops back with the ball next to his ear, just the way Spurrier teaches.

Perhaps most impressive is the smoothness of Hamdan's release. There's no hitch. From holding the ball to follow-through, it's one straight, crisp motion. That saves a split-second that could come in handy on Sundays.

"You want to get the ball out quicker," Hamdan said. "It makes things so much better. You're able to keep defenders off receivers for just that [split]-second longer. That makes a big difference."

— Mark Zuckerman and Jody Foldesy

OVERHEARD

"He's a guy you can't sleep on. You people don't know about him, but if you get up in his face, he'll push you right to the ground."

— Cornerback Champ Bailey on first-year wide receiver Scott Cloman, who is having a solid camp.

"Scrap, fight, leave everything out on the field, and at the end of the day know that I have no reservations, that I've left it all out on the field."

— Fellow first-year receiver Richmond Flowers, who like Cloman is battling for a roster spot.

BY THE NUMBERS

32.8 Redskins' average points per game during the preseason last year.

19.2 Average points a game during the regular season.

MONDAY'S SCHEDULE

With tomorrow's preseason opener at Carolina, the team won't be back at Redskin Park until next week. The next practice open to the public is Monday from 4 to 5:45 p.m. Gates open at 3 p.m. Go to www.redskins.com or call 703/726-7411 for directions and daily updates.

Archived