Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need some computer help!

MattFancy

And I will add that I have servers running 32 bit applications just fine as well as 64bit. Not sure why other are having problems running flash on a 64bit machine. 64bit has been around for a long time - Windows XP 64bit was the first, then Vista and now 7. [/Quote]

Agreed. I run Server R2 X64 as my desktop with no issues. Changing to 32 bit is not the answer.

Actually the maximum you can have is 4 gigs on a 32bit system. To utilize more then 3 gigs you need to modify the boot.ini file to include a /3GB switch to fully utilize more then 3 gigs of ram.

Boot.ini went the way of the dodo starting in Vista. Now we have a boot configuration database. The /3GB switch just changes the memory allocation. Normal allocation is 2GB for Kernel and 2 GB for User. /3GB allocates 1 GB for kernel and 3 GB for user. But it also has negative affects and shouldn't be used but in certain instances. The /PAE switch allows applications that are PAE aware to address memory over 4GB. Again, not useful on a desktop. And not needed in Win2k8/R2/Win7 anyway as the PAE kernel is used by default.

zskins I tried the link you posted. It came up with a recall for my laptop. I sent it in last year for to get the motherboard fixed. However, since I've made this thread, I haven't noticed it freezing. But the underneath of it is really hot.

Heat could be a factor. My wifes HP gets pretty hot. My Toshiba does not. Heat is definately the enemy. I have a piece of 1/4" plywood that is used as a lap table when using the laptop in my lap. Assures good air flow.

Does it freeze when you're not doing something online (ie: editing a document or...playing solitaire or something like that), or is it only when you're browsing the net?

Anyways, I would run the system in safemode with networking and see if it still freezes. If it doesn't, then it's likely a driver issue.

Also, make sure your drivers are up to date. A lot of manufacturers are continuing to release more support and drivers for the new 7 OS.

If the system wasn't sold with a 64bit OS, it likely is a driver issue.

Also, download a BIOS update for your machine if its overheating. Unfortunately when manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc) have a system that ends up failing because of overheating due to poor quality assurance prior to mass producing it, their fix is usually a BIOS update which lowers the clock speeds of the processor to reduce heat. Though, you won't really notice a performance change from it.

Does it freeze when you're not doing something online (ie: editing a document or...playing solitaire or something like that), or is it only when you're browsing the net?

Anyways, I would run the system in safemode with networking and see if it still freezes. If it doesn't, then it's likely a driver issue.

Also, make sure your drivers are up to date. A lot of manufacturers are continuing to release more support and drivers for the new 7 OS.

If the system wasn't sold with a 64bit OS, it likely is a driver issue.

Also, download a BIOS update for your machine if its overheating. Unfortunately when manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc) have a system that ends up failing because of overheating due to poor quality assurance prior to mass producing it, their fix is usually a BIOS update which lowers the clock speeds of the processor to reduce heat. Though, you won't really notice a performance change from it.

I'll look into the BIOS idea thanks!

Archived