Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawn Barber, what do you think?

Awesome

Last night I saw Shawn Barber in a bar in Richmond. There were a lot of people buggin him and i waited until i was good and drunk before approaching him. i asked him how the knee was and he said it was doing great. he was wearing a skins sweat shirt. i really wanted to ask him what he thought of steve and if he thought he would be back next season, but i didn't b/c i didn't want to bother him too much. anyway, i'm really on the fence about whether or not we should resign him. i really liked the way robert jones and k. mitchell played this year and i think we should keep a. pierce around and see if he develops. barber has great speed and has a nose for forcing turnovers. but, is there a way to keep him, lavar, jones and mitchell, and pierce? i think there is and that we should resign him if it is the right price. going down this season definitely made him cheaper. but, i don't want to spend a lot for him, considering he has only had one solid season.

I'd love to have him back, because he's a great cover linebacker. We can get him at a bargain basement price, because the linebacker position is fairly deep in free agency this year. Most teams will go after Sam Cowart, Bryan Cox, and Jason Gildon and other higher tier players. Shawn has also said he wants to stay in DC. He had a hell of a year 2 years ago, before his injury. He'll have a big impact if he returns.

I think he's faster than Pierce and has a better nose for the ball. He has great instincts as a linebacker. He was a playmaker under Nolan in 99, but Rhodes didn't seem to be able to bring that out of him.<br /><br />His weakness is that he can be run at somewhat, but that's Pierce's weakness too.<br /><br />I think he's a good blitzer, and that alone might be a good reason to retain him.<br /><br />But not for break-the-bank kinda money. It all depends on how much he wants. But I'd like to have him back.

Don't forget two things. <br /><br />First, Barber's recovering from a knee injury, which usually takes two years to get back up to full speed from. We just don't know if he'll get back to 100% on that knee, because speed and athleticism are huge parts of his game. <br /><br />Second, Jones and Mitchell, who I like too, are both over 30 years old. But they're the only other run-stopper we have at LB. <br /><br />If we keep Barber, that means that the only way that Pierce and Barber can be on the field at the same time is in passing situations. Lavar would have to play MLB with those two, also. There just wouldn't be enough bulk on the field to stop the run otherwise. While I really like Barber's play, I have a feeling that his FA price will be a little steep for us, especially considering the other needs we have like on D-line and at WR.<br /> <br /> <small>[ February 10, 2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: redman ]</small>

I think Barber will test the FA for sure. But what kind of maket is there for a smallish linebacker, that gets pushed around, and is coming off of major knee surgery?<br /><br />I am thinking he wont't get what he desires from ANYONE. I would not mind him coming back, but for the right price. <br /><br />But I do think he is over-rated, and our run defense played better when he was NOT in the lineup. I know it's not all his fault, but it is a fact none the less.

Archived