Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DSL question for anyone who can help........

TC4

What would you give the Aints for Sullivan?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What would you give the Aints for Sullivan?

• Next years first round pick
    • Next years first rd pick and a mid round pick
    • Somehting less than a 1st round pick
    • wouldnt even consider it

Well, we finally got the DSL up and running. it is sooooooo gtear too. I LOVE IT!!!! :D

But I am having like one problem. We have 2 computers on a Linksys router. The one closest to the DSL modem is a 3 year old IBM Netvista with Windows ME on it. The 2nd one, which is on the other side of the house, is also an IBM Netvista, but it is only a year old and it runs Windows XP.

Now, when I am on the 2nd computer and trying to download a file on it, without warning, the 1st computer turns itself on :rolleyes:

Does anyone know why it is coming on like that and is there a way to stop this, as we don't want to leave either machine on.

Thassa strage thing...You mean your computer is off? Or is it just in standby mode. Most routers have to constantly send new ip's to the computers so your isp will let you go online. Maybe that's it....:2cents:

Originally posted by TC4

Well, we finally got the DSL up and running. it is sooooooo gtear too. I LOVE IT!!!! :D

But I am having like one problem. We have 2 computers on a Linksys router. The one closest to the DSL modem is a 3 year old IBM Netvista with Windows ME on it. The 2nd one, which is on the other side of the house, is also an IBM Netvista, but it is only a year old and it runs Windows XP.

Now, when I am on the 2nd computer and trying to download a file on it, without warning, the 1st computer turns itself on :rolleyes:

Does anyone know why it is coming on like that and is there a way to stop this, as we don't want to leave either machine on.

I think I know what it is. There is a feature with some networking cards that lets you turn your computer on through the LAN. I think this is what's happening. You need to go into the setting of your Ethernet card and turn off the "Wake on LAN" feature. If your ethernet connection is directly on your motherboard then you need to go into the bios and turn if off from there.

Originally posted by Johnny Punani

I think I know what it is. There is a feature with some networking cards that lets you turn your computer on through the LAN. I think this is what's happening. You need to go into the setting of your Ethernet card and turn off the "Wake on LAN" feature. If your ethernet connection is directly on your motherboard then you need to go into the bios and turn if off from there.

Well, when it comnes to stuff like the BIOS in a computer, that is all beyond my abilitys as to being able to go in and fix that.

I did look for the "Wake on LAN" feature you mentioned, but I didn't see it in the propeties of the ethernet card, although again, due to my lack of knowedge, I could have been looking in the wrong place.

Archived