Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Sports Blog: Zorn and J.C Miced up

just654

During the rams game, NFL films put a mic on Zorn and J.C.

I don't think you could possibly get a better five-minute tutorial on the Zorn-Campbell in-game dynamic than by watching this NFL Films piece. It's just magnificent work. And it actually makes me more optimistic about the leadership skills of both men. Zorn--or, at least, the Zorn that's shown here--is decisive and calm, while Campbell has an intensity that we hardly see from his actions. Highlights, since I can't embed. Really, you should go watch.

* Both men were frustrated after Mike Sellers's end zone drop.

"Hey there's two opportunities gone," Zorn says. "Well, you can't catch the ball for the guy."

And then, after the halfback option fails, "God," Zorn says. "Can we score. A. Touchdown."

"I don't think they've stopped us yet, that's what I think," he later says. "But I'll tell you what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna run the ball in the red zone right now, just because we seem to not be able to hang onto the ball in the red zone."

This is something I don't think has emerged in this week's review of the game. Zorn is consciously saying he's going to rely on the run in the red zone because of frustration over dropped passes.

* At some point, Zorn grabs Santana Moss on the sidelines while holding his play card. "Listen, I've got all these plays that I've got you in mind, I'll just start dialing them up and get you the rock."

Not sure the exact timeline, but the video then cuts to the bomb to Moss that has been much-discussed this week, a would-be touchdown that was foiled when guard Will Montgomery was overpowered at the line.

"There it is," Zorn says, as Moss breaks free.

"C'mon, man!" Campbell yells in frustration, as he's sacked.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/09/nfl_films_does_zorn-campbell_r.html?wprss=dcsportsbog

Archived