Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For those who were upset Melissa Stark left MFN, here ya go.....

Stark to work on Today show, Olympics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Melissa Stark will be moving from Monday nights to early mornings.

Stark was hired Thursday by NBC to be a national correspondent for the "Today'' show and to help cover the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

Stark recently left ABC Sports, where she was the lead sideline reporter for "Monday Night Football'' the past three years. She worked last season's Super Bowl and also helped cover figure skating and golf.

She previously worked at ESPN from 1997-2002, covering breaking news, but has never worked at an Olympics. Her role in Athens hasn't been determined.

"I'm thrilled,'' she said. "It's the opportunity of a lifetime. I'm so excited. That should be great. I covered the Super Bowl this past year and obviously that was a huge highlight for me. This will be on as big a stage if not bigger, especially as a world event. It's an amazing opportunity.''

Stark is due to give birth to her first child on Sept. 2, leading to her departure from "Monday Night Football.''

"Obviously being due the first week of the season was not conducive to being at games,'' she said. "That was a great opportunity. I will miss Al Michaels and John Madden. They were a great crew to work for. This is a perfect transition for me. I always wanted to get more into news and explore other opportunities.''

In addition to her sports reporting, Stark has appeared as a guest host on "The View,'' and was an intern for the "CBS Evening News with Dan Rather.''

"Melissa began her journalism career in news and wanted to do more than just sports reporting. We are delighted to bring her talents to the 'Today' program,'' NBC News president Neal Shapiro said. "She has the intelligence, energy and curiosity to do the wide variety of stories that appeal to the morning news audience.''

Archived