Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going to Training Camp: Any Advice?

Doggmatic

I'm heading up to Camp this year to check out the team. Seeing that I've never been, can anyone tell me when the best time to go is? Or anything other advice I wouldn't think of to ask?

Maybe I can meet some of you guys up there this year.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get to Redskin Park?

FROM BALTIMORE:

Take 95 South towards Washington, D.C.

Take 495 West to 267 West (Dulles Toll Road Exit)-The entrance toll is 50 cents

Follow 267 West for 13 miles to the Dulles Greenway-The entrance toll is $2.25

Continue approximately 2 miles to Exit 7 (Loudoun County Parkway/Route 607)

Turn right, headed north, on Loudoun County Parkway

Proceed approximately 2 miles and cross over Waxpool Road

Go approximately 1.2 miles more until the two lanes merge into one. Look for Redskins parking staff to find parking at Redskin Park.

FROM WASHINGTON, D.C.:

Take 66 West towards Virginia

Take 495 North to 267 West (Dulles Toll Road Exit)-The entrance toll is 50 cents.

Go approximately 1.2 miles more until the two lanes merge into one. Look for Redskins parking staff to find parking at Redskin Park.

FROM SOUTH OF WASHINGTON, D.C.:

Take 95 North towards Washington, D.C.

Take 495 West to 267 West (Dulles Toll Road Exit)-The entrance is 50 cents

Is there any cost to park and enter the practice fields?

Parking and admission are free.

When does training camp start? What time does practice begin and end?

Training camp is set to begin on July 28 at Redskin Park. Click here for a full schedule of dates and times. Generally, practices last between 90 minutes and two hours.

When is Fan Appreciation Day?

Fan Appreciation Day is scheduled for Saturday, August 2. The day will feature performances by the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders and the legendary Redskins Marching Band. Additional details regarding Fan Appreciation Day will be announced in coming weeks.

Can I bring food and drinks?

Fans are permitted to bring coolers with food and drinks to training camp.

No alcohol will be allowed at Redskin Park.

Will food and drink be available?

Food and drink will be available for purchase from vendors on the training camp grounds.

Will there be souvenir access?

The Redskins will have several retail trailers stationed around Redskin Park to allow fans ample access to Redskins merchandise.

Can I bring a chair?

Yes. No bleachers will be set up around the fields. The Redskins are trying to create a family atmosphere with ample sight lines. Fans can set up chairs on the grass around the practice fields, or they can sit on the grass.

How can I get autographs?

There are no guarantees players will be available for autographs. However, oftentimes players will sign autographs after practice for fans.

When should I arrive to watch a practice?

Fans are encouraged to arrive early to avoid traffic problems and to secure a comfortable position around the practice fields.

How can I find out if practice is cancelled or if practice time has been changed?

Check Redskins.com for updates on practice information. The Redskins will do their best to notify fans of practice changes or cancellations.

Originally posted by Doggmatic

I'm heading up to Camp this year to check out the team. Seeing that I've never been, can anyone tell me when the best time to go is? Or anything other advice I wouldn't think of to ask?

Maybe I can meet some of you guys up there this year.

We should tailgate in the parking lot, hehehe :cheers:

Be patient. Remember, you are watching a football practice. Sporadic cheering does occur (Darrell got cheered everytime he touched the ball last year!) but the structure is not like a game. I really don't know what to expect at Redskins Park. I think they might be trying to discourage fan participation by holding camp there because there are no bleachers (in a round about way I think they are trying this).

Since this will the first Redskins Park training camp without all the hoopla of the first one in 2000, we don't really have a whole lot f inside info to bank on, I'm afraid. Assuming they keep it there for a few years, now, we're going to have to build up a body of knowledge as to teh best days to go, best parking (both for your cars and tailgating), best places to sit or hang out to get the best view of the action, least-foul-smelling heads, etc.

I call upon all fans who go this year to jot down and share your observations / experience here (unless you're one of those guys who like to hoard such juicy, inside stuff -- in which case, pfffflllllbbbbtttt on you). :)

Being local, I'll take advantage of their being here in town again, and find clever excuses to leave the office a few times. And I'll share any good tips / info I can gather.

and dont forget to hit the Dominion Brew pub located in the same little bidness park as redskins park (recommended).

took the kids in 2000, was one of the best "dad" days oout he kids ever had.

LOL first 2 min we were there my eldest daughter gets sunscreen in her eyes.... thank god for the little medical tent there; rinsed her out and off we went.

priceless.

yep quite a few actually right around the corner on rte 7, Landsdowne and one or two more ....

Originally posted by Dr. D

and dont forget to hit the Dominion Brew pub located in the same little bidness park as redskins park (recommended).

took the kids in 2000, was one of the best "dad" days oout he kids ever had.

LOL first 2 min we were there my eldest daughter gets sunscreen in her eyes.... thank god for the little medical tent there; rinsed her out and off we went.

priceless.

even better, golf, beer, then football :) if only every day could be like that then this world would be perfect :pint:

Originally posted by Om

jbooma, better plan it football first THEN golf.

I'd like to remember what I see. ;)

how about , golf + beer, football + beer, hehahhaha don't worry it will be like our own training camp, training for the tailgate parties then the games, we need to train as well as the players, hehahahha

:pint::cheers: :laugh: :cool:

My advice, wait until they move back to Carlisle. I've done the TC thing in Ashburn and it blows unless you know somebody!

Autograph ops for those without field access is lousy. You are at the players mercy to obtain a signature and you have to hope that the player that you want walks up to where you are standing. If not, get ready for the Larry Moore, Donovan Arp, and Bryan Barker autographs and FAT CHANCE getting Bruce or Lavar. Bruce alwasy has been tough on autograph hounds and Lavar has become a notorius non-signer with all of the demand that he receives these days. Last year he went as far as using decoy tactics to sneak in and out of practices.

Fan Ap day is mayhem so pack a lunch and get in the line of the ONE player that you want an autograph of... because that will be the only sig you get that day if your lucky. And pray that you don't have to take a leak, because they will boot you to the back of the line if you leave.

In Carlisle, the players had to walk or ride their bikes from the dorms to practice and you had plenty of chances to get them to and from. Ashburn = NO ACCESS or OPPORTUNITIES.

The best place for autographs is at the hotel, some of the players who do not live locally usually stay at the team hotel and get the free meals and such. The last CAMP NORV that I went to, they were staying at the HILTON.

Archived