Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Hackett going to hack it?

TSO

I don't think Haggans helped himself in the Ravens game.

And Hackett is familiar with Zorn and the offense.

I see Hackett as our James Thrash type except with more talent.

I think Mitchell is guy we have to keep on the roster because he has size and speed and could provide insurance to fill in at the Z receiver if Devin and Malcolm get banged up.

I see both making the team.

So we're keeping 6 WRs?

I just don't see how. Not with all the guys we have at DE and at CB.

I'm honestly torn. What do you go with here; potential with the risk of bust, or production now with the risk of missing out on a future big time player?

Maybe the decision that gets made will show what our coaches believe to a certain extent. If it's a "we can win now" attitude we go with Hackett. If it's a "let's keep building here" attitude we shouldn't hold on to him at the expense of the younger, promising prospects there.

Let's hope, starting today, they make this issue clearer. The best thing that could happen for us is if Hagans or Mitchell clearly establishes themselves and prove they can actually produce for us now as well... we should all root for this outcome.

Well, Ithink kelly's health problems and the chronic/recurrent hamstrings of Thomas and Moss give your idea more credence. I just think that the #5 receiver almost never catches enough balls to make a difference. Mitchell has looked good enough that I'm worried he will get snatched off the PS and developed by another team if he doesn't make the roster.

Exactly my fear. Tall prospect with sticky hands (and a propensity to enrage good DBs) and huge upside? I wouldn't want to the chance on the PS.

This RI update links well into this thread.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/redskins-face-tough-decision-o.html#more

Mitchell, however, does not have a background in special teams, which could derail his bid to make the opening 53-man roster as the fifth wideout. Guys in that position, usually, earn a spot on the strength of their special-teams work. Special teams coach Danny Smith said Mitchell is improving on special teams, but it would appear to be difficult to have him on the opening-day roster, barring injuries or other unforeseen circumstances with the top four wideouts, unless he could make a mark on special teams in the next three preseason games.

Improvement on 'teams may be needed for Marko. That being said, I think he makes it at #5.

So we're keeping 6 WRs?

I just don't see how. Not with all the guys we have at DE and at CB.

I'm honestly torn. What do you go with here; potential with the risk of bust, or production now with the risk of missing out on a future big time player?

Maybe the decision that gets made will show what our coaches believe to a certain extent. If it's a "we can win now" attitude we go with Hackett. If it's a "let's keep building here" attitude we shouldn't hold on to him at the expense of the younger, promising prospects there.

Let's hope, starting today, they make this issue clearer. The best thing that could happen for us is if Hagans or Mitchell clearly establishes themselves and prove they can actually produce for us now as well... we should all root for this outcome.

Its not hard to keep 6 WRs:

QB - 3

RB - 3

FB - 1

WR - 6

TE - 3

OL - 9

(25)

DE - 4

DT - 5

LB - 7

CB - 5

S - 4

(25)

K - 1

P - 1

LS - 1

(3)

The biggest position battle would come down to LB. Orakpo, Fletcher, McIntosh and Blades would be in. Wilson, Fincher, Glenn, Henson and Thomas will battle it out for 3 spots.

If its 5 WR, then no, I don't think he "hacks" it.

But if we keep just 5 WR then we're playing with fire in my opinion.

Our entire WR corps has issues with injuries (hamstrings or knees). Yes, we have Cooley who we can split out, and even Davis (although he can't even get on the field as a TE). Lots of talent, but lots of risk. When all is said and done there will either be 6 WR or 2 on the Practice Squad.

Archived