Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Florida Hospital Defends Deportation

MattFancy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090723/ap_on_re_us/us_hospital_deportation

Underlying the dispute is the broader question of what do Americans expect a hospital to do with a patient who requires long-term care, is unable to pay and doesn't qualify for federal or state aid because of his immigration status. Health care and immigration experts across the country are watching the case, which could set precedent in Florida and possibly beyond. Lawyers for Jimenez said this appears to be the first time a lawsuit has been filed in such a case.

This could be an interesting story to follow. I personally agree with what the hospital did. It says the hospital had already spent $1.5M on him over 3 years. So its not like they didn't offer him any care at all.

What do you guys think?

Wouldn't the drive of the car be responsible for his medical costs and not the hospital? That confuses me.

I guess the driver was only responsible until he was released. It said he was relased and then brought back. But you make a good point.

This is why we need to stop allowing medical care to illegals. Here is a guy who I assume is a good guy, hard worker, but he is here illegally and now he is costing millions to the tax payers all becuase he is breaking the law.

This is ridiculousness at it's peak. I'm glad the hospital came to it's senses and is sending him back. Let his govt figure out how to pay for his costs.

Wouldn't the drive of the car be responsible for his medical costs and not the hospital? That confuses me.

How many drivers have 1.5 mil or even the ins anywhere near that ?

Funny how he ended up

Jimenez was released from the Guatemalan hospital and soon wound up in his aging mother's 1-room home in a remote mountain village.

A South Florida Roman Catholic priest visited Jimenez to check on his condition. In an e-mail to The Associated Press, he described Jimenez as clean and glad to see visitors.

"It seemed that he was cooperating with his caregiver and would survive, I guessed, until his first pneumonia," wrote the Rev. Frank O'Laughlin.

Archived