Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting statement from Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News

scottb

•••

Q: Like most Cowboys fans I am pleased with Bill Parcells, but I strongly disagree with fans and commentators who believe he is the greatest coach of all time. How do you rate him against all-time greats Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh and so forth?

Rob Pickett, Springfield, Mass.

GOSSELIN: I hadn’t heard that he’d been declared the greatest coach of all time. I put Vince Lombardi at the top of my list. Green Bay was dreadful before he arrived, finishing 1-10-1 in 1958. He steered the Packers to a winning record in his first season (7-5), then took the Packers to six NFL championship games in a span of eight years (1960-67). He won five titles in seven years.

I’m not so sure I wouldn’t put Joe Gibbs second. He won three NFL titles with three different quarterbacks. Lombardi won five with the same quarterback, Noll won four with the same quarterback, and Walsh won three with the same quarterback. I’d also put Brown, Landry and Shula all on the list ahead of Parcells. But if Parcells can win a third Super Bowl with a second franchise, that would vault him up the list. Championships in multiple towns are an impressive feat. Parcells is one of the best coaches the NFL has ever seen. But not the best. Not yet, anyway.

•••

Kinda nice both his top coaches have Redskin roots (ok ok, Lombardi's streching it with just one season, but it was a good one). Joe Gibbs..I thank you for the memories.

Parcells would be great if he stayed with the Giants for 15 years and won multiple titles there.

He's too disloyal to be considered one of the greatest, in my opinion.

Based merely on his credentials, he'd have to be up there, but the guy is a jerkoff.

Archived