Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who here is an aspiring or published writer?

The Villi Phanatic

I'll have to reread and fully digest this later but thanks for the insight. A couple quick comments:

Catch-22s seem to be prevalent for breaking into most of these industries (I have a bit of familiarity with the video game industry).

As for the submission process you recommend, you think it's better to send the entire manuscript to editors along with a cover letter as opposed to a sample chapter and cover letter? What if you think, as in my case, that a particular chapter is very attention-grabbing and entertaining and think it stands a better chance of garnering interest than reading the book starting from Chapter 1 (not that I dislike my intro and first chapter, just that I really like this one specific chapter and it doesn't need much background at all to know what's going on in it)?

yeah. i hate the catch-22s. i went from film production and screenwriting to books. so it was one catch-22 to another.

my point was more to skip the agents and go straight to the editors since they have the power at the publisher. instead of going from one person to another person to another person.

i havent actually dont this approach, cuz my second book was already signed to a contract by the time my old prof told me this. but i dont see why sending your best chapters wouldnt work. the principle still holds. if you catch their attention, they wont toss you in the trash for going around the rules. so send the whole thing, send the best chapter, either one should work.

yeah. i hate the catch-22s. i went from film production and screenwriting to books. so it was one catch-22 to another.

my point was more to skip the agents and go straight to the editors since they have the power at the publisher. instead of going from one person to another person to another person.

i havent actually dont this approach, cuz my second book was already signed to a contract by the time my old prof told me this. but i dont see why sending your best chapters wouldnt work. the principle still holds. if you catch their attention, they wont toss you in the trash for going around the rules. so send the whole thing, send the best chapter, either one should work.

I remember your post about finishing writing your last book. How is it going selling on Amazon? Is it linked to other things they sell, like "If you liked this, you might like this?"

I remember your post about finishing writing your last book. How is it going selling on Amazon? Is it linked to other things they sell, like "If you liked this, you might like this?"

i made a post about it? dont remember that, lol.

its officially been on amazon since mid june, but i dont think its actually available yet cuz i still dont even have my copies. but theres also a hold on it cuz i had to go back and get a page added for a dedication since they forgot to put it in the front.

so theres nothing on the 2nd book. on the first, not really sure. i dont get figured from amazon. i only get stuff on how many books are sold. and since they are sold to amazon then technically resold, i dont know how much of amazon is actually sold vs how much is sitting in their warehouse.

but im pretty sure it is linked to the 'if you lke this, youll like this' boxes. but im pretty sure thats based on the info i submitted when i set up the look inside features of everything. but thats on the first book. the second book was a different publisher and i dont think i have the option to set it up cuz of that. i think they have to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've now finished up my novel (though I still have to go back and reread and edit it) so I've been doing a lot of research about the publishing process recently.

Kuraitengai, a few questions in regards to your recommendations to forego getting an agent and submitting directly to publishing companies instead:

1.) Isn't it more likely your manuscript will end up in a slush pile if sent directly unsolicited to a big publishing company than if an agent submits it for you?

2.) I'm inclined to think that the extra money an agent will get you in a contract (whether it's due to getting a better contract from a given company or a contract with a bigger company than you would have been able to get to view the manuscript) will at least offset the standard 15% commission they take and hence, warrant getting an agent (assuming of course that you get an agent who you know is going to try and promote your book which is going to be the case for agents not taking upfront fees).

3.) I did see you recommend the option of getting an agent after first getting a publishing company interested via a direct unsolicited submission. Is the agent's sole purpose in this situation to negotiate a contract for you (and theoretically negotiate one that nets at least 15% more than you would have received on your own)?

Alright, I've now finished up my novel (though I still have to go back and reread and edit it) so I've been doing a lot of research about the publishing process recently.

Kuraitengai, a few questions in regards to your recommendations to forego getting an agent and submitting directly to publishing companies instead:

1.) Isn't it more likely your manuscript will end up in a slush pile if sent directly unsolicited to a big publishing company than if an agent submits it for you?

either way. if you go for an agent or an editor at a publisher, you will end up on the slush pile. the difference is that if you go to an agent, if you get through that slush pile, youll go to the editors pile after that. but if you go straight to the editor and make it through the slush pile, thats the only pile you go through, the editor will recommend an agent and its more of a done deal to sign with the agent from the start since you already have the editors interest.

so going through the agent (like you are *supposed* to do), you have to navigate multiple slush piles. going straight for an editor at a publisher you just have to navigate one pile.

2.) I'm inclined to think that the extra money an agent will get you in a contract (whether it's due to getting a better contract from a given company or a contract with a bigger company than you would have been able to get to view the manuscript) will at least offset the standard 15% commission they take and hence, warrant getting an agent (assuming of course that you get an agent who you know is going to try and promote your book which is going to be the case for agents not taking upfront fees).
what is the question exactly? but either way, youll need an agent. if you go with submitting to an agent first, you sign then. if you go with submitting the editor first, he will recommend an agent before he will proceed. so either way you need an agent. but its not always about signing the biggest deal. its about signing the best deal. put it like this....one publisher will offer you a $1,000,000 advance, but they are super huge and just mass promote by a template, its not personal. a second publisher offers a $500,000 advance, but they are smaller and devote more personal promotion. they let you get involved with how your book gets marketed. you get to have a say and voice opinions.

id go with the 2nd one with less money, cuz in the end, it could be a better situation cuz the level of promotion for the product will be better. to put it in sports terms. you can sign with drew rosenhaus and get a huge contract but how often do you get face time unless youre one of the super super stars? or you can sign with jerry macguire, and have him there for you. id go with jerry for the level of service and commitment.

3.) I did see you recommend the option of getting an agent after first getting a publishing company interested via a direct unsolicited submission. Is the agent's sole purpose in this situation to negotiate a contract for you (and theoretically negotiate one that nets at least 15% more than you would have received on your own)?
well thats the thing...if you get the publisher interested, then want to deal with them yourself without an agent...its not gonna happen. its very rare to get signed to a major publisher without an agent. so getting them interested, then wanting to leave an agent out wouldnt happen. they have to work with agents for some legal stuff i believe. so its not about getting an agent that will get you 15% more than what youd get without an agent. when you are dealing with the major publishers if you already have them interested in signing you, you get an agent, you get a contract, you dont get an agent, you dont get a contract. its that simple. no agent gets you $0. agent gets you a check.

Archived