Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jumping Rope.

Stew

Pretty simple thread. Im learning to jump rope. Yeah thats right, learning. I can go for almost a minute straight without stopping, and Id keep on going but i either smack myself in the back of the head or the foot with the rope. What am I doing wrong? Is it fatigue? Is my rope too short?

I ask because I have been told once I can jump rope for five minutes continually without messing up, my friend, a boxer will train me. Not jump rope for five minutes, because I jump rope for about 15 to 20 minutes a day after work before dinner, even if i worked out or exercized before work, but i cant do it continually without messing up or getting fatigued.

Anyways, its a slow Saturday around here when a thread devoted to the Rick Roll pops up, I figure if anyone is a health nut, boxer, or a personal trainer that has experience or insight in the dept can shed some light on my new stress relieving hobby.

I'm into boxing and kickboxing and jumping rope is a way of life in boxing conditioning. I was taking this one boxing class in DC and on certain days our instructor had us jump rope rope the entire time we were there minus ring and bagwork. We'd have short 1 minute breaks and he'd walk around with a water bottle for everyone. When I was taking that class I dropped 10 lbs in a few weeks just from going to class and not eating like complete crap.

I still jump rope in my personal workouts to mix up my cardio. It's an excellent way to stay in shape.

As far as you having trouble with going for more than a minute it's probably just a concentration/rhythm issue. When I was in that boxing class it took a while for me to get to the point where I could jump rope for long periods of time without messing up. My only advice is just keep trying at it and don't overthink it. Eventually it will become second nature and muscle memory will take over and you can jump for as long as your cardio permits.

But yep to sum up, I'm very pro-jump rope!

I'm into boxing and kickboxing and jumping rope is a way of life in boxing conditioning. I was taking this one boxing class in DC and on certain days our instructor had us jump rope rope the entire time we were there minus ring and bagwork. We'd have short 1 minute breaks and he'd walk around with a water bottle for everyone. When I was taking that class I dropped 10 lbs in a few weeks just from going to class and not eating like complete crap.

I still jump rope in my personal workouts to mix up my cardio. It's an excellent way to stay in shape.

As far as you having trouble with going for more than a minute it's probably just a concentration/rhythm issue. When I was in that boxing class it took a while for me to get to the point where I could jump rope for long periods of time without messing up. My only advice is just keep trying at it and don't overthink it. Eventually it will become second nature and muscle memory will take over and you can jump for as long as your cardio permits.

But yep to sum up, I'm very pro-jump rope!

I think I am using too much energy when I jump by jumping too high. I also try to not bend my knees too much, but if i dont then I smack my toes, so then I try to start back up and i lift my knees just a little and it throws my motion off just a tad and i start floundering around.

Any advice on form? Also, does spreading your hands and arms out further have an effect on your jump? Does it "make the rope shorter" by spreading it out?

I think I am using too much energy when I jump by jumping too high. I also try to not bend my knees too much, but if i dont then I smack my toes, so then I try to start back up and i lift my knees just a little and it throws my motion off just a tad and i start floundering around.

Any advice on form?

It sounds like your rope isn't the right length. I know mine is too long when I can't jump rope normally without the rope hitting my toes.

To determine the exact length for an individual, stand on the center of the cord.

The handle tips should reach your armpits. When you jump over the rope, the rope should just brush the floor beneath your feet. If the cord doesn't touch the floor, the rope is too short. If the cord hits the floor in front of your feet, the rope is too long and should be shortened.

You shouldn't have to think about anything while you're jumping rope, and that just comes with practice. Get a rhythm going, or just jump rope to music, and you should be able to eventually jump rope for as long as your legs can take.

I thought boxers only jumped rope for 3 minutes at a time (to simulate rounds of boxing)?

Any advice on form?

Just remember that it shouldn't require a ton of energy to jump rope. Think of it in terms of a slow and steady rhythm, if it helps just count a simple one, two, one, two in your head.You can kind of feel the rhythm between your arms and legs.

As far as actual form you should have just a slight bend of the knees but the actual jump should come from your ankles and you should have just enough jump to get the rope under your feet.

I, like #99, used to take boxing classes, and jumping rope was the thing. I love it. It's a great workout without feeling like you're really doing that much.

Most of it is mental. I like to jump rope while wearing headphones. That way I'm not focusing on every jump, I just get into a rhythm and go. Really the best advice I can give is to find a comfortable jumping level from the balls of your feet. You don't want to have to bend your knees too much because that'll just mess up the entire rhythm of motion. Add to the a comfortable rate of speed in which to rotate the rope. Going too fast will cause the rope to buckle and end up going all over the place (where you're hitting yourself in the head, or feet with the rope).

This is good stuff guys, Im actually taking notes. I like jumping rope because it really gets my heart rate up quickly, and i can do it almost anywhere. Ive been on an exercize kick ever since the weather started getting nice. I move my free weights outside and lift weights outside, and last weekend I went an ran Old rag Mountian in abouit 4 and a half hours. Id like to knock a half hour to an hour off that time, and it shouldnt be hard, we spent abuot 15 minutes at the peak eating goo and a cliff bar.

I was also told that jumping rope before I eat will speed up my motabilism and help in digestion and burning of the food so it doesnt sit in my stomach. I was told that by a budy of mine and I dont hold much stock because of who I heard it from, but I always have time before I eat while my fiancee is making it so I try to work it in at that time. Even if it doesnt have any added benefit, it makes me feel good to exercize in the evening. Then I can just shower, eat and relax, I usually sleep better as well.

This is good stuff guys, Im actually taking notes. I like jumping rope because it really gets my heart rate up quickly, and i can do it almost anywhere. Ive been on an exercize kick ever since the weather started getting nice. I move my free weights outside and lift weights outside, and last weekend I went an ran Old rag Mountian in abouit 4 and a half hours. Id like to knock a half hour to an hour off that time, and it shouldnt be hard, we spent abuot 15 minutes at the peak eating goo and a cliff bar.

If you keep mixing up your workouts like that and keep your body guessing, you'll be in top shape in no time.

Archived