Redskins.com: WASHINGTON REDSKINS BRING TRAINING CAMP HOME

MOskins56

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11729

WASHINGTON REDSKINS BRING TRAINING CAMP HOME

06/04/2003

By Patrick Wixted

Redskins.com Correspondent

Team to Prepare for the 2003 NFL Season at Redskins Park in Ashburn, VA

The Washington Redskins today announced they will hold their 2003 training camp at Redskins Park, the team’s year-round headquarters and training facility. The team is the ninth NFL squad to announce it will train at home.

The Redskins Park facility, on 160 acres in Loudoun County, Virginia will be configured to provide parking for fans to visit training camp. There will be no charge for admission or parking.

“We just believe it will be a little bit more productive to have camp at our own facility,” Redskins head coach Steve Spurrier said. “We have four fields here and it is close. We just feel like that is the way to go.”

Training camp is tentatively scheduled to open July 27. A special Fan Appreciation Day will be held on the first Saturday of camp, August 2, featuring performances by the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders and the legendary Redskins Marching Band. The exact schedule of dates and practice times will be announced at a later date, along with additional details regarding Fan Appreciation Day.

“We have a lot of room for people to stand and watch practice and we know people will come and watch,” said Spurrier. “We welcome all the fans if they want to come out and watch.”

Fans are welcome to bring chairs, picnic blankets and coolers (no alcohol permitted) – to further enjoy their experience at Redskins Training Camp 2003. There will be concession stands and Redskins retail merchandising trailers. Fans should also note that there will be no bleachers or grandstands on the premises.

Redskins Park features three natural turf fields and one of artificial turf. In addition to the team’s business and executive offices, it also encompasses locker rooms, state-of-the-art weight and training rooms, and dining facilities.

In recent years with the exception of the 2000 season, when training camp was held at Redskins Park, trained at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, (2001-2002) or briefly at Frostburg State College, Frostburg, Maryland (1995-1999).

Be sure to continually log on to www.redskins.com for further details on Redskins Training Camp 2003.

I think it won't be a circus this year.

Lots of people will watch the open practices but this way the have their own lockerroom, weightroom and don't have to ship stuff all over the place.

I still think that anybody who's been in the NFL under say 4 years should have to stay in a hotel or where they did when camp was here last.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by MOskins56

Fans should also note that there will be no bleachers or grandstands on the premises.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike last time.

Originally posted by BlitzFiftySix

Personally I think it sucks. It will distance the fans from the players drastically.

It wasn't all that bad last time. Personally I was able to get more autographs than I have ever been able to get in Frostburg or Carlisle. Besides it’s a faster ride home afterwards.

Archived