Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX Report on Ramsey

JUDGE: Ramsey on the spot in D.C.

BY CLARK JUDGE

FOXSports.com

Jun. 4, 2003 12:48 p.m.

The Washington Redskins continued their overhaul Tuesday with the promotion of Vinny Cerrato as acting general manager, but let's be honest here: Although his contract expires after the season, Cerrato isn't the one under scrutiny as the season approaches.

No, that job belongs to Patrick Ramsey.

If the Redskins are to have a winning season for the first time since 1999, the second-year quarterback must do what he, Shane Matthews and Danny Wuerffel could not a year ago: minimize mistakes.

"All he has to do is not get us beaten," said Cerrato, now the team's vice president of football operations. "He doesn't have to win games by himself. He has to get the ball to Laveranues Coles, Rod Gardner and Trung Canidate. All you need there is a good assist man."

The Redskins assisted anyone they could last season, with more turnovers (40) than all but Minnesota (41) and St. Louis (45). That must stop, and let's see if Ramsey is up to the task. There were encouraging signs in 2002, with the rookie throwing for six touchdowns and two interceptions in his last four starts — including a game in Philadelphia where he produced three touchdowns, no pickoffs and a season-best 110.8 passer rating.

Washington will need more performances like that, especially considering that it's Philadelphia the Redskins must catch in the NFC East. The Eagles won the division the past two years and should have more trouble defending their title against the New York Giants than Washington.

But that's where Ramsey comes in. If he plays more as he did his last four games than his first five — when he threw three TD passes, six interceptions and was sacked 14 times — Cerrato believes the Redskins have a chance to make something happen.

"Overall," he said, "we're better on paper than we were six months ago. We're younger. We're deeper. We're faster. We have a chance to be much better on defense. Our offensive line is better. And our kicking game is better. Now, how fast it all comes together and whether we can stay healthy ... well, that has yet to be determined."

Patrick Ramsey will be surrounded with better talent on offense this season.

Ezra Shaw /

Getty Images

Nobody was more active in the off-season than Washington, which added a passel of free agents — including guard Randy Thomas and Coles — and traded for Canidate, a former first-round pick of St. Louis. There are seven projected starters in there, and that doesn't even include new kicker John Hall. While some observers are skeptical the moves will make a difference, Cerrato is confident they will have an impact.

"Philly was the champ last year, so they're the ones we've got to beat," he said. "And I think we've closed the gap with some of the people we've gotten. Whether we caught or passed them has yet to be determined. There are still those questions out there."

Like the quarterback.

"Right," said Cerrato. "That's the big thing. But he's been here every day. He works every day. He studies tape every day. He's doing everything you need to do, and then some, to be a good player. He has the ability. It's the experience and knowing the game he needs, but I believe he should be much better."

For Washington's sake, he better be.

Senior writer Clark Judge covers the NFL for FOXSports.com and can be reached at his e-mail address: cjudge@foxsports.com.

"All he has to do is not get us beaten," said Cerrato, now the team's vice president of football operations. "He doesn't have to win games by himself. He has to get the ball to Laveranues Coles, Rod Gardner and Trung Canidate. All you need there is a good assist man."

Vinnie, keeping expectations and pressure down on Patrick. It's a good move to keep him focused and not uptight. My belief is that he'll be around 78 passer rating and 27-14 touchdowns to INT's.

HTTR,

Originally posted by skinsfanbu

Vinnie, keeping expectations and pressure down on Patrick. It's a good move to keep him focused and not uptight. My belief is that he'll be around 78 passer rating and 27-14 touchdowns to INT's.

HTTR,

For him to throw 27 TDs to only 14 INTs and also compile a 78 passer rating, he'd have to hover around the 45% completion percentage mark and right at 3000 yards even.

http://home.new.rr.com/rosslahaye/

actually, that's not quite true, if was 300/560 with 3500 yards, he'd have a 78 rating. Of course, I think he'll be in the high 50% in terms of completion percentage. I'm actually expecting a rating in the low 80's. If you throw out those 2 hailmarry passes, he had a 76 rating in his rookie year, I think he'll have more experience, and more weapons, which should translate into at least 6-7 more ratings points.

Patrick has shown signs of promise. I think a few times he was a victim of SS's play calling (wanting to pitch and catch it and air the ball out).

The guy has the potential, we will see what happens with his new weapons on offense! :asta:

Let's just make sure we don't jump all over him if in his first game of the year he throws 3 ints and one is taken back for a TD. While I think he will be a very good QB some day, and that that day will be sooner rather than later, he is going to make some mistakes.

From what I saw last year, albeit NOT MUCH, I'm more worried about SS than Ramsey.

I agree, sometime ya gotta let the young ones make their mistakes and learn from them. He's gonna make mistakes, probably early, and I hope SS just stays the course. That's one of the biggest upsides of Ramsey - he seems to be really smart. He'lll make mistakes but I'd wager that he will RARELY make the same one twice.

Talent, brains and willingness to work hard are the ingrediants to the recipe of success. Ramsey seems to have those traits. :cool:

Archived