Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A project to help retired players

tibbidoe

At the forum I went to last weekend, both Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long mentioned the need to help financially strapped players who don't have the financial means to pay for surguries. The way Bradshaw/Long described it is that a player has 3 years upon his retirement to file a grievance with the NFL itemizing their ailments. e.g. left shoulder, dislocated 12-15-83, Washington vs. Philadelphia, will likely need additional surgery as per Dr. X. The way Bradshaw explained it, if the player files the grievance in time than the NFL will pay for the players ongoing maintenance on that body part or parts. But if the player doesn't file, then the NFL will not compensate the player for future surguries.

The problem is that many of the players in the 70's and 80's did not file on time and because NFL salaries had not yet balooned those players often are strapped financially and can not afford to pay for their surguries.

Bradshaw stated that he made a little under $30K his rookie year as the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. He said that he worked 2nd jobs each offseason for his 1st 5 years in the league, selling used cars and working in factories. Long said he made about $35K his rookie year. Obviously lesser tier players made far less.

Bradshaw/Long stated that the NFL needs to do more to help retired players.

The retired NFL Players have a major gripe. But I still dont see how some random guy's "investment opportunity" is going to help. The only solution to this problem is for the NFL to do the right thing by sharing their Billions in revenue with the past players.

Shouldn't these rare opportunities be posted in the classified section? Or craigslist?

tibbidoe, as an officer of a 501c3 organization, you can get paid. Getting a 501c3 designation makes donations a tax write off and a must for business donations. I'm not sure what your plans are, but you can also see about writing for grants. I'm not sure about your plans, but the program you are talking about will dictate the type of programming language you will want to use, so it would be best to write a complete outline of what you want to accomplish. Dispose of the 30% for yourself, and pay yourself accordingly as the nonprofit grows. I don't know if I can be of assistance, but let me know.

Archived