Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

per MLive.com: Lions have already started negotiations with their No.1 pick

x96bryan10

Lions have already started negotiations with their No. 1 pick

by Tom Kowalski Sunday March 22, 2009, 4:54 PM

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/03/lions_have_already_started_neg.html

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The talks are only preliminary and the real target has yet to be identified, but the Detroit Lions are already in the process of negotiating a contract with their first-round draft pick. Lions president Tom Lewand said the team could move very quickly in getting a deal done, adding that "By the rules, we could agree to terms with somebody tomorrow if we wanted to.''

Because the 2010 season is an uncapped year in terms of salary, the contract language for incoming rookies will be much different than it's been in the past. Lewand said it was important for him to get on the same page with the agents as soon as possible.

"We have to have robust dialogue with the agents of the players we're interested in. We've started that process and we've made it very clear to all of them that we have to have that as this month draws to a close,'' Lewand said.

"We won't put a timetable on it. From our standpoint, it's whenever everything that needs to come together, comes together. There's no timetable one way or the other. If we make the decision and (general manager) Martin (Mayhew) and (head coach) Jim (Schwartz) and everybody else is comfortable with it and we can come to a contract with the guy, there's no reason we can't do that tomorrow. If we can't - and any one of those pieces isn't in place - and it doesn't get done until the night before the draft, that's fine, too.

"Whenever the muffin rises above the tin, it's time to eat.''

click link for full article

so lets say they seal a deal before the draft, does that mean the rams can negotiate a deal with whoever they want? and if so, then could the chiefs?

and so on and so forth

I always wondered that. I'm thinking no though, because I don't think a player is allowed to sign a contract before they are actually drafted. Guess they could just "agree to terms" though, and maybe sign some letter of intent to sign the said agreed upon contract.

Since they cannot be officially signed, I think it means other teams cannot start negotiating.

Archived