Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to learn how to play the guitar

What you think I don't use the actual song to learn how to play also?? That's just dumb to think I blindy play from tabs without listening to the song. There are millions of tabs out there. I find ones that are correct, or modify them to accuratly play the music I'm trying to learn.

It's a fine way to learn as long as you have a good ear and some musical talent.

I said they were usually incorrect. WTF you got pretty PO over nothing. :evilg:

I said they were usually incorrect. WTF you got pretty PO over nothing. :evilg:

haha yea i guess so. My B for coming across like that. I just don't get why you think that a person would not be able to notice that a tab was tabbed wrong. And then that they wouldn't have the common sense to know how to fix it by ear. Tabs arent a bad way to learn at all.

Do you have heavy gauge strings on your acoustic? It really shouldn't be too different unless it's a nylon string acoustic. Although I had a classical guitar teacher who could tell just by watching my left hand if I had been playing a lot of electric guitar the previous week. He would jokingly rip me for it, pretty funny.

These music ed guys are about to jump all over you.

:D

But yea, that's basically my story as well.

:evilg:

Nah. Learning by tab is probably the easiest way to do things if you really do not have a desire at all to learn note names and stuff. I think that is essential but some other people might not.

:evilg:

Nah. Learning by tab is probably the easiest way to do things if you really do not have a desire at all to learn note names and stuff. I think that is essential but some other people might not.

If you are playing for fun its really not a big deal what way you do it. Just play and enjoy it.

haha yea i guess so. My B for coming across like that. I just don't get why you think that a person would not be able to notice that a tab was tabbed wrong. And then that they wouldn't have the common sense to know how to fix it by ear. Tabs arent a bad way to learn at all.

That's pretty much what I was saying by your better off learning it by ear. Sorry I should have been clearer. Tabs are great but unfortunately anyone can post one online. I have the same problem with something like Wikipedia, if anyone can edit it how do you really know the facts are correct. :D

I wish it was just common sense but it's more than that. Especially if your just starting. I've been playing for 20 years and I still make mistakes when learning songs. Still I recommend a theory book not just jumping into learning Stairway to Heaven from some online tab. Learn the basics and everything else will start to look easy. I started by learning Suzuki guitar. LAME! But it helped.

That's pretty much what I was saying by your better off learning it by ear. Sorry I should have been clearer. Tabs are great but unfortunately anyone can post one online. I have the same problem with something like Wikipedia, if anyone can edit it how do you really know the facts are correct. :D

I wish it was just common sense but it's more than that. Especially if your just starting. I've been playing for 20 years and I still make mistakes when learning songs. Still I recommend a theory book not just jumping into learning Stairway to Heaven from some online tab. Learn the basics and everything else will start to look easy. I started by learning Suzuki guitar. LAME! But it helped.

You do have a point. A good one too. Learning the basics is key. I come from a musical background so it wasn't that hard for me to pick up and start playing. You could argue that it should be easy for me to learn notes and be able to recognize them by ear, but to my defense....I'm just lazy hahaha.

If you are playing for fun its really not a big deal what way you do it. Just play and enjoy it.

That's fine until you go to play with some other people who want to play more than two chord jams. Honestly as long as your familiar with Major/ Minor/ Blues scales and chords popular music is really easy to figure out. All Americans really want to hear are the same hot licks and chords repeated.

You do have a point. A good one too. Learning the basics is key. I come from a musical background so it wasn't that hard for me to pick up and start playing. You could argue that it should be easy for me to learn notes and be able to recognize them by ear, but to my defense....I'm just lazy hahaha.

Just start learning about this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege It will help alot.

You can replace the Do, re, mis' with any word. Santana said he uses curse words.

That's fine until you go to play with some other people who want to play more than two chord jams. Honestly as long as your familiar with Major/ Minor/ Blues scales and chords popular music is really easy to figure out. All Americans really want to hear are the same hot licks and chords repeated.

Yea but I have no problem playing by ear. I'm not limited to what I see on paper.

The problem is not limitations at home but limitations at band practice and during live shows. Like you said if your just playing for fun by yourself you can really play whatever, it doesn't matter. But for communication in a band or on a project it helps. It's not necessary though ZZ Top and AC/DC are two bands that "Rock" but just play similar chord progression over and over.

Play for myself.

Not interested in playing with others, this is something I'd just like to know how.

Start out with learning Major and Minor Bar chords. As well as a few movable chords. You can move on to Major and Blues pentatonic scales if you eventually want to start learning "licks". Just make sure to start off learning simple songs. Simpler than Wipe Out and Traveling Band, I mean something a 3 or 4 year old would sing/play.

I kind of got pushed into learning guitar about 8 years ago. I was in a jazz/rock band, and I had played the saxophone, and occasionally the piano. But there was one year that I needed to play some guitar even though I had never done so up to that point. I went to a local Guitar Center and took private lessons. I might get back into it.

hope it goes well for you!

Archived