Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Party That Lost Its Mind

Duckus

Most of the "big spending" Republicans have been replaced; and have you forgotten your big spending Democrats that voted for the bills that were introduced and passed under the Bush administration.

I do not remember any Republicans opposing any spending during Bush years... maybe i just wasn't paying enough attention. Did that happen?

In reference to Bush and the Iraq war~ he got intell from Colin Powell and went to war in Iraq; because of WMD's. Powell's intel was wrong:doh:

Really' date=' Colin Powell was a source of intel?

If you are interested in continuing this discussion please let me know what you think of this:

[url']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Special_Plans[/url]

And the guy isn't wrong; history has shown that industry does "boom" when there is a war going on; manufacturing plants explode~ his post was very pertinent to what you asked. ;)

We have a history with him. He is in a habbit of severely mischaracterizing my position by implying that I make no distinction between proper and improper government spending.

Also, what's up with "~"? It makes your posts harder to read.

Yeah, that's the ticket. We've had a bunch of wars that aren't really wars and they worked great: War on Poverty, War on Drugs, War on Terrorism.

Now we get the War on Recession.

I was thinking "War on the Economy" ;)

More seriously, how do we tell bad spending like Bush from good spending like Obama? Just for my future reference.

For instance, is Bush's huge increase in entitlement spending with Medicare Part D stimulative?

Unfortunately I do not know enough about entitlement spending to address your example.

Here are some general rules of thumb by which one may identify "good spending". In most cases "bad spending" has properties that are opposite of those listed. This hold especially true for accountability, openness, transparency. Lack of those is likely to turn any good spending into bad spending, so those are huge red flags. btw Bush administration is one huge red flag.

Good spending:

• Has proper accountability, openness, transparency (hopefully recovery.gov is going to be that).
  • Takes place in a responsible way.
  • Propotes the public good.
  • Lays down the foundation for future growth and prosperity.

I loved the fact that they were objecting to GOP amendments that they themselves added into the bill in the Senate too. Again, ridiculous.

That's politics. Many people put in earmarks for their constituents but vote no on the bill.

They are working for their district AND staying true to their beliefs.

The GOP does seem to be flailing right now. Instead of offering viable and reasonable alternatives, they are whining over minutia. One great example of this was the congressman who used a graphic explaining the cost of the stimulus package in terms of how high one could stack thousand-dollar bills, and how many times it could circle the earth. It really does seem the GOP strategy is to sit back, hope everything falls apart, and then step in and say, "Hey, we were opposed to this all along. Vote for us."

It worked for the Democrats on the Iraq war thing. The NFL is not the only place where copycats abound.

Archived