Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dell???

riggo66

Im looking into buying a Dell. Anyone have any nightmare stories about Dell? Also,Im not a big compuetr nut. I basically surf the net and want to be able to run any gaming software I want wihtout having to worry about the system handling it. Im eyeing the 4550, it basicaly w/out upgrades has..

Dimension 4550 Series,Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.53GHz (221-1101)

Memory:

256MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (461-7783)

Keyboard:

Dell Quiet Key Keyboard (310-1582)

Monitor:

17 in (17 in viewable) E171FPB Flat Panel Display (320-0578)

Video Card:

64MB GeForce4 MX Graphics Card with TV-Out (320-0476)

Hard Drive:

FREE UPGRADE! 60GB Ultra ATA/ 100 7200RPM Hard Drive (460-6970)

Being a novice more or less and valueing the wealth of eduacted opinions on this board I thought Id get some feedback or advice.

Thanks for any help!!

You'll probably want to choose a better video card, and possibly more ram (512 total is ideal). Neither is needed for today's games, but most games coming out in the next 6 months + are going to use DirectX 9, which is basically a technology for handling better and larger textures and lighting. You'll want to get an ATi 9500 or higher or a Nvidia GeForce FX card with that dell (both are options on the Dell online store I believe).

I'll leave the technical spec's questions to the experts here, but I did buy Dell's Inspiron 8100 laptop (technically a 'desktop replacement' as its much bigger than a true laptop) last year, and it runs like a dream. I'm not a huge fan of Windows XP as it seems awfully 'buggy' to me, but I've been happy with my Dell. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from others though, and probably some that haven't had good Dell experiences. Good Luck!

I like Dell, as a whole. I bought a Dell 4 years ago and had no problems until I overclocked the video card, and they replaced it no problem. A good PC if you don't plan on tinkering too much.

Problem is though, that for good gaming performance, you need power. That GeForce 4MX card is decent for current games, but it won't run DirectX 9 games, which will be the next standard. Dell offers the ATI 9800 which rocks, but is expensive. If they offer the ATI 9600, that is cheaper and pretty nice. I would also consider upgrading to 512mb of RAM.

If you are not too into games though, that is not a bad system. I have a tendency for overkill with computers. MORE POWER!!!

Thanks for the input fellas. I knew Id get great advice from this board. Honestly if I wasnt the Redskin a holic that I am and had no reason to venture over to the main board Id still hit the Tailgate regularly for the great info and topics!!!

If ALL you're going to do is surf the net and play games ...

I would just get a cheap (or used) PC for the web + an XBox (or PlayStation 2) for games

... unless there's PC-only games you want to play.

It would be a whole lot cheaper, as an XBox costs less than a good video card for a PC -- and that's not even counting the premium motherboard and extra RAM you need to make a game-worthy PC. And don't forget the troubleshooting costs. :)

I wouldn't consider buying anything other than a Dell. I started with a laptop in 1996 which I dropped and banged more times than I could count, but that held together with no hitches until I sold it three years later. My current Dell desktop turned 5 years old in December, and has only given me trouble when I was inside screwing around with things I shouldn't have. I also ordered new Dells for my office last year and haven't had so much as one complaint about any of them.

I'll probably keep the machine I have until the end of the year before upgrading, but it will definitely be another Dell.

One other thing...

My newest Dell catalog shows a new top of the line model-- I believe it's the XPS or something. When I went to spec out my dream system, it looked like they were offering a TON of free upgrades. You might want to check out that model before buying the 4550.

Hate to get in on the thread late but I work for Dell and have tested the 4550, XPS, and 8300.

Out of the three the 8300 if you set it up right will give you more bang for the buck.

my suggestion would be along these lines,

Dimension 8300

2.8Ghz Proc

1GB Memory

ATI 9700 Pro Video card

120MB Hdd

Everything else is just fluff.....

I have tested the 8300 with the above components and it just flat kicks butt.

If ya have any questions about any of the new dell's please post it up and I will do my best to answer it.

A_Monk...I appreciate the help. I have limits dollar wise. Im quoted a tad over 2k for the 4550. If I could get the 8330 to come in anywhere near that or if I could drug my wife Id jump all over it.

Thats cool..i know how that goes.

I looked over your orginal post and the one suggestion I could make is do not get the Gforce NV17 it is not the best video card.

See if you can get the ati 9700(not the pro).

Also if you can upgrade to 512 megs memory.

4550 is an very solid machine and it will serve you very well.

Also you can save cash if you have a monitor already that you can use. if you order without a monitor it takes 100 bucks off the order which you coudl use towards the better videocard..just a though.

Cheers

Archived