Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2008 Draft Trade with the Falcons & Why we had 10 picks

Est.1974

I'm seeing lots of comments about what we should & shouldn't do in the upcoming draft with regards to trades & accumulating picks, & I think there are a couple of misconceptions about the draft we had in 2008, specific to both the trade out of the first round & why we had 10 picks.

If people know this, I apologise, but here goes ;

- We did not just trade a first rounder for 2 x second rounders.

The trade with the Falcons was our 1(21), 3(81) & 5(154) for their 2(34), 2(48) & 4(103)

A similar trade this year would convert our 1,3,5,6 to 2,2,4,6

(EDIT - comp 7th added this year, aquired since the OP)

Also, last year we had our own second rounder plus a compensatory third used in Rinehart.

- Secondly, we had 10 picks due to the fact we picked up three compensatory picks in total from the league ( rounds 3,7,7 ). We did not have 10 picks due to trades.

Just trying to state some facts as people use the 2008 draft when discussing how we should trade down / accumulate picks in the 2009 draft.

:cheers:

I am no draft guru. Can someone explain the compensatory picks system and if there are chances we get some this year?

Me neither, I think the comp 3rd was for Dock. All sorts of rules based on playing time / size of contract signed to (I think). I'm sure someone will explain the finer details between now & April :D

Good thread, thanks. Totally forgot we traded that many picks to Atlanta. Still, it was a good move on our part. We'll see how things go this time around considering our 13 is valued much higher than last year's 21. Let's just hope this draft is deep and we can hold some superstars hostage.

Me neither' date=' I think the comp 3rd was for Dock. All sorts of rules based on playing time / size of contract signed to (I think). I'm sure someone will explain the finer details between now & April :D[/quote']

The 3rd round comp pick was for losing Dockery.

• 3 months later...
We did not just trade a first rounder for 2 x second rounders.

The trade with the Falcons was our 1(21)' date=' 3(81) & 5(154) for their 2(34), 2(48) & 4(103) [/quote']

Even Synder thinks we only traded our 1st in 2008 for 2 x 2nd's. He just said so. No we didn't. See above, 'Dan' :)

And for all those hoping for a trade back tomorrow, keep this kind of scenario in mind. Whilst the #13 holds more value, any trade back could involve multiple picks like 2008, IMO.

Alright, I know we are trading up, but you never know :)

Archived