Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A return to running game?

darrelgreenie

The majority of our victories have come behind heavy doses of Kid Bro Sweets and the running game.

Maybe the solution to the struggling passing game and the anemic offense is to re-commit to the run?

-We have a good run blocking offensive line.

-We have Buges an experienced offensive line coach, we have Sherman Smith OC a running game expert, we have Stump Micthell another running game pro.

-We have a new passing game, that is according to the coach and to the eye, "Behind the running game."

-We have Clinton Portis great running back candidate for league MVP.

-We have Ladell Betts an experienced back who's been a 1,000 yard rusher.

-We have Rock Cartwright who has shown flashes.

We have Marcus Mason- doh!;)

With the passing game struggling maybe its time to embrace who we are?

Maybe its time to return to good old Redskins football.

Maybe its time to, "Dance with the girl that brung ya"

Commit ourselves to the run.

Run the ball, run the ball and run the ball some more.... like we used to.

Then, maybe the passing game can get going with some play-action and bootlegs and roll-outs?

When was the last time we called 3 runs in a row?

This is who we were:

[/color]

Washington Redskins vs Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field

2nd Qtr

1-10-WAS 3 (10:15) C.Portis left end to WAS 11 for 8 yards (S.Bradley; T.Cole).

2-2-WAS 11 (9:39) C.Portis up the middle to WAS 12 for 1 yard (J.Parker).

3-1-WAS 12 (9:04) C.Portis left end to WAS 15 for 3 yards (S.Bradley). R4

1-10-WAS 15 (8:24) L.Betts left end pushed ob at WAS 24 for 9 yards (Q.Mikell).

2-1-WAS 24 (7:56) L.Betts left end pushed ob at WAS 38 for 14 yards (B.Dawkins).

3rd Qtr

Washington Redskins at 1:47

3rd Qtr

1-10-PHI 43 (1:47) C.Portis left end to PHI 43 for no gain (C.Gocong).

2-10-PHI 43 (1:24) C.Portis right end to PHI 34 for 9 yards (M.Patterson).

3-1-PHI 34 (:49) C.Portis left end pushed ob at PHI 7 for 27 yards (S.Brown). R18

1-7-PHI 7 (:13) L.Betts left tackle to PHI 4 for 3 yards (T.Laws).

Washington Redskins vs Dallas Cowboys

9/28/2008 at Texas

4th Qtr

1-10-WAS 34 (10:16) C.Portis left guard to WAS 37 for 3 yards (D.Ware).

2-7-WAS 37 (9:38) C.Portis up the middle to WAS 48 for 11 yards (P.Watkins). R19

1-10-WAS 48 (8:58) C.Portis right end to DAL 39 for 13 yards (Z.Thomas). R20

1-10-DAL 39 (8:18) J.Campbell pass short right to C.Cooley pushed ob at DAL 33 for 6 yards (G.Ellis). Pass complete off play-action and roll

right.

2-4-DAL 33 (7:43) L.Betts left tackle to DAL 31 for 2 yards (D.Ware; Z.Thomas).

Timeout #1 by WAS at 06:58.

3-2-DAL 31 (6:58) (Shotgun) C.Portis up the middle to DAL 31 for no gain (D.Ware).

PENALTY on DAL, Defensive 12 On-field, 5 yards, enforced at DAL 31 - No Play. X21

1-10-DAL 26 (6:32) C.Portis right end to DAL 25 for 1 yard (M.Spears).

2-9-DAL 25 (5:52) L.Betts left tackle to DAL 18 for 7 yards (S.Bowen).

3-2-DAL 18 (5:07) L.Betts right guard to DAL 16 for 2 yards (C.Canty; M.Spears). R22

1-10-DAL 16 (4:22) L.Betts left guard to DAL 16 for no gain (M.Spears).

2-10-DAL 16 (3:37) C.Portis right guard to DAL 12 for 4 yards (Z.Thomas).

Timeout #2 by DAL at 03:30.

3-6-DAL 12 (3:30) C.Portis up the middle to DAL 11 for 1 yard (J.Hatcher).

Commitment to the run, everyone doing it, its the coolest!:cool:

Tennessee Titans at 6:41

1-10-TEN 12 (6:41) PENALTY on TEN-A.Crumpler, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at TEN 12 - No Play.

1-15-TEN 7 (6:41) L.White right tackle to TEN 13 for 6 yards (P.Lenon).

2-9-TEN 13 (6:08) L.White right end to TEN 15 for 2 yards (I.Alama-Francis).

3-7-TEN 15 (5:31) C.Johnson up the middle to TEN 36 for 21 yards (C.Avril).

Baltimore Ravens at 10:22

1-10-BLT 20 (10:22) L.McClain up the middle to BLT 27 for 7 yards (T.Cole, C.Gocong).

2-3-BLT 27 (9:48) L.McClain left guard to BLT 42 for 15 yards (S.Brown, Q.Mikell). R1

1-10-BLT 42 (9:10) L.McClain left guard to BLT 48 for 6 yards (J.Parker, C.Gocong).

2-4-BLT 48 (8:33) L.McClain left guard to PHI 49 for 3 yards (M.Patterson, C.Gocong). #97 - Brodrick Bunkley

(PHI) injured on play.

3-1-PHI 49 (8:02) L.McClain up the middle to PHI 49 for no gain (S.Bradley, S.Brown).

Dallas Cowboys at 6:40

1-10-DAL 37 (6:40) M.Barber up the middle to DAL 42 for 5 yards (C.Horton, H.Blades).

2-5-DAL 42 (5:58) M.Barber up the middle to DAL 49 for 7 yards (C.Horton, D.Evans). R14

1-10-DAL 49 (5:13) M.Barber left end to WAS 43 for 8 yards (L.Fletcher).

2-2-WAS 43 (4:25) M.Barber right tackle to WAS 38 for 5 yards (H.Blades, D.Evans). R15

1-10-WAS 38 (3:41) M.Barber up the middle to WAS 38 for no gain (H.Blades, L.Landry).

:cheers:

Thoughts?

[/size]

The anemic offensive in part is because of the over reliance on the running game! We are that one dimensional.

I gotta disagree with you there bro.

Over the past few games we've gone away from the running game fairly quickly.

1st half vs. Giants 8 carries/ loss

1st half vs. Seahawks 16 carries/ win

1st half vs. Cowboys 10 carries/ loss

1st half vs Steelers 10 carries/loss

1st half vs Lions 16 carries/ win

If running the ball is our strong suit why deny it?

We should do what we're good at and that's running the ball.

I don't think we've ran the ball 3 times in a row in several games. I think we need to commit to the run now, just like we did during last years playoff push.

washington redskins vs philadelphia eagles at lincoln financial field

2nd qtr

1-10-was 3 (10:15) c.portis left end to was 11 for 8 yards (s.bradley; t.cole).

2-2-was 11 (9:39) c.portis up the middle to was 12 for 1 yard (j.parker).

3-1-was 12 (9:04) c.portis left end to was 15 for 3 yards (s.bradley). R4

1-10-was 15 (8:24) l.betts left end pushed ob at was 24 for 9 yards (q.mikell).

2-1-was 24 (7:56) l.betts left end pushed ob at was 38 for 14 yards (b.dawkins).

3rd qtr

washington redskins at 1:47

3rd qtr

1-10-phi 43 (1:47) c.portis left end to phi 43 for no gain (c.gocong).

2-10-phi 43 (1:24) c.portis right end to phi 34 for 9 yards (m.patterson).

3-1-phi 34 (:49) c.portis left end pushed ob at phi 7 for 27 yards (s.brown). R18

1-7-phi 7 (:13) l.betts left tackle to phi 4 for 3 yards (t.laws).

Watch this video if you forgot what we were:

trailing 14 points in the 1st Qtr we stuck with the run

We need to pound the run and only pass when we need to keep teams honest.

Do we still have a RB?

I know right?

We got 3 running backs. And a beast fullback.

Portis and Betts are both 1,000 yard rushers.

Cartwright is a good KR and has shown flashes in limited carries.

Sellars could be our WCO's version of Rathman.

Lately, we barely use Portis we tease at using Sellars. Betts is an afterthought and we haven't seen Cartwright since Cleveland.

We have a good run blocking line. A decent pass blocking line.

We got a struggling passing game: playcalling, receivers and QB included.

C'mon Zorn/Mitchell....Why try to force a round peg into a square hole.

Run the ball. Run it some more.

Throw to Cooley.

Pass the ball to the RBs out the backfield.

Get the defense into the coverages that we want then when there is certainty about the coverage and the pre-snap reads. ATTACK!

people like to say things like when the skins give the ball to Portis more than 25 times a game we always win..so just give him the ball etc.

Well, when its 3rd and 6 and you hand the ball to Portis you don't have much of a chance at getting the first do you? We are in these situations to much and can't afford to give him the ball.

Kid Bro Sweets is not 100%. I don't think he will be for the remainder of the season. Betts still looks a little rusty since his return from injury...and Rock simply isn't consistent. Since the Steeler's game (when CP got injured) is when this offense took a complete nose dive. Every opposing defense knows our running game is not at full speed. They've been blitzing JC like hell...throwing our offensive linemen around like ragdolls...forcing JC to make quick decisions. We all know how that has progressed...

We are consistently getting beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I normally do not agree with Wilbon but hit the nail on the head the other day on the WP video feature. Football is a game where you inflict your will onto the other team at the line.

Everything else flows from there. The skill players are not the issue here. Yes they can be better. Yes they made mistakes. We dropped some balls and JC made so slow......... reads and missed some opportunities but we are not inflicting our will on anyone but the worst teams.

Our Oline is not pushing anyone around at this point in the year. We cannot man up and beat a team like the Giants, Cowboys, Steelers and yes the Ravens.

I would love to be proven wrong but I do not think it is going to happen. We need to get back to drafting solid players in the guts of the game not wasting 3 picks on non-impact skill players.

I don't think we're intentionally abandoning the running game. I think that in the 3 games we've lost recently we've tried to run the ball as long as we can. Unfortunately we haven't had much success with it in those 3 games and we reached a point where we had fallen behind and had to throw more. The low carries for Portis aren't a result so much of getting away from the running game, it's more a result of not sustaining drives and having a low play count overall.

That's incorrect. We did so about 4-5 times against the 'Hawks, if NFL.com's play-by-play is accurate.

I wasn't sure about the Seattle game, but you're right we did have a couple of drives where they ran the ball 3+ times in a row. And you know what, we won that game.

people like to say things like when the skins give the ball to Portis more than 25 times a game we always win..so just give him the ball etc.

I'm saying we should shoot for 30+ carries, but don't just wear Portis out. Give Betts and/or Cartwright significant carries.

Well, when its 3rd and 6 and you hand the ball to Portis you don't have much of a chance at getting the first do you? We are in these situations to much and can't afford to give him the ball.

I don't know. If we can't convert 3rd & 6 with the pass who's to say that a toss/sweep/pitch or inside draw wouldn't catch a team off-guard?

More to the point though, if we really commit to the run when we do face 3rd and 6 the play action and bootlegs would likely be more effective.

I say establish the run 1st. Run the ball on 1st down, even against the 8 man box.

We've been able to run against 8 man box fronts with success before.

Everyone wants us to pass on 1st down all the time.

What does it help if we pass the ball on 1st down and its incomplete?

The team talked about going back to basics, what is more basic then running the ball? Maybe the line and the offense can get its swagger back?

Or maybe CP should call them out again, along with JC the WRs and Zorn ;) JK

Kid Bro Sweets is not 100%. I don't think he will be for the remainder of the season. Betts still looks a little rusty since his return from injury...and Rock simply isn't consistent.

You're right CP isn't 100% and part that IMO is Zorn's fault for running him into the ground.

Betts looks rusty because he doesn't get enough carries to shake of the rust.

The only thing i see inconsistent about Rock are his carries. How will he ever contribute or show anything without more carries?

^^Its all the same problem...too many carries for CP>>(injured) too few carries + injury for Betts>> (rusty) too few carries for Rock>> questions about his ability to contribute/ 'inconsistency'

:2cents:

Hard to stay with the run when you get 1 and 2 yards per attempt in your first 3-4 offensive series and the other team is up by 2 scores. The key is hitting the 5+ yarders at least every 3rd attempt. When you cant do that it's very hard to not end up in 3rd and long repeatedly.

We are consistently getting beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I normally do not agree with Wilbon but hit the nail on the head the other day on the WP video feature. Football is a game where you inflict your will onto the other team at the line.

Everything else flows from there. The skill players are not the issue here. Yes they can be better. Yes they made mistakes. We dropped some balls and JC made so slow......... reads and missed some opportunities but we are not inflicting our will on anyone but the worst teams.

Our Oline is not pushing anyone around at this point in the year. We cannot man up and beat a team like the Giants, Cowboys, Steelers and yes the Ravens.

I would love to be proven wrong but I do not think it is going to happen. We need to get back to drafting solid players in the guts of the game not wasting 3 picks on non-impact skill players.

:applause::applause::applause::cheers::cheers: AGREED u build a quality football team from the pit up, BEAST O LINES control games and beast D LINES WIN GAMES We have neither that explains the mediocrity

The Eagles were the No.1 run D and they were up by 2 scores when we ran all over them.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b5e8ba

dang links never work! doh

Much has changed since that game. CP is a shadow of his self in that game, Samuels is dinged up, and JJ has apparently lost the fire he had upon first regaining his starting job.

Not to mention teams weren't nearly as sure of Zorn's attack, at least so it seems now. This offense is looking very stale to me these days.

Teams have adjusted to the Skins Ground Game. The only time (Since PITT) Portis ran wild has been against poor front 7's. This O-line is either tiring or ineffective against elite defenses. There ain't4 best defenses in football better than the Ravens, & we don't need no steenkeeng stat sheet to recognize that...

Teams have adjusted to the Skins Ground Game. The only time (Since PITT) Portis ran wild has been against poor front 7's. This O-line is either tiring or ineffective against elite defenses. There ain't4 best defenses in football better than the Ravens, & we don't need no steenkeeng stat sheet to recognize that...

I guess i must have imagined that Portis was leading the league in rushing? And he was doing it against good run defenses that often used 8 man fronts.

I doubt that Buges and the offensive line suddenly forgot how to run block?

I don't think teams have 'adjusted' to the running game.

If anything we've gone away from it too early in an effort to get the passing game going.

And we ran an injured Portis instead of Betts, Cartwright and Sellars.

And the running game itself hasn't been very creative. Mostly inside zone stuff from the I-Form, very few runs from other formations, little to no misdirection, and very few tosses/sweeps/pitches.

I would rather see the Skins run the ball which they've proven they can do with the best in the league then to keep trying to force feed a mediocre passing game.

Much has changed since that game. CP is a shadow of his self in that game, Samuels is dinged up, and JJ has apparently lost the fire he had upon first regaining his starting job.

Not to mention teams weren't nearly as sure of Zorn's attack, at least so it seems now. This offense is looking very stale to me these days.

No doubt Portis is dinged up, but he has still been effective when given carries. He's had decent 1st have numbers in the losses.

And its not like we don't have other backs that are healthy that could lighten or carry the load.

Is Samuels dinged up to the point of ineffectiveness?

I can't speak to wether Jansen has lost his fire but he is a good run blocker.

I agree that the offense is kinda stale but the beauty of the running game is that it doesn't matter if they know its coming. You just have to stick with it.

We can't be afraid to run the ball, but I think we've been too predictable about WHEN we run the ball. Against the NYG, it seemed that we ran the ball on 1st down pretty much every time, got ourselves in 3rd & long, and either threw incomplete or came up short of the marker. Considering who we're playing next week, I think we should throw on 1st down most of the time, and mix in runs on the later downs.

Archived