Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Updates: Russell, FO Shakeup, Zellner, more.

Rat_Boy

All from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6292-2003May2.html

The Washington Redskins remained active on the free agent market, bolstering their depth on defense, even as they began a three-day minicamp yesterday. The team agreed to a two-year, $1.8 million contract with veteran cornerback Alex Molden and was attempting to complete a deal with defensive end Peppi Zellner.

Just say no to Zellner!!!!!!!

Jacobs, the Redskins' second-round draft selection who played for Spurrier at the University of Florida, had a typically uneven day for a rookie. He made a few eye-catching plays but also had a few gaffes, including a dropped pass that led linebacker LaVar Arrington to yell playfully: "You left your hands at the draft!"

Johnson made a superb leaping, one-handed catch over Bailey. Coles showed glimpses of his considerable ability, and second-year wide receiver Cliff Russell seemed to have regained his speed after suffering a torn knee ligament early in training camp last summer that ended his rookie season.

"I noticed [the speed] even during warm-ups," Bailey said. "It's crazy to see these guys flying around -- Laveranues, Taylor Jacobs, Cliff Russell. I think it will definitely help us out. I could see situations last year where if we had a faster guy, it probably would have been a completion. I'm thinking Coach saw the same thing."

So, Patrick Johnson beat Champ? No big deal of course. I would still keep Skaggs over Johnson.

Also, I see Champ talking about our quick receivers, but no mention of Gardner. I still think he will have a big year as DB's will be chasing Russell, Coles, Johnson, and Jacobs down the field.

Sources said that Joe Mendes, the club's vice president of football operations, likely will discuss his future with the team with Snyder within the next few weeks. There has been speculation within the organization as to whether Mendes will stay. Mendes has told associates that he does not intend to resign, and sources said that Snyder is not planning to fire Mendes.

So where is the shakeup?

I would definitely keep Patrick Johnson over Skaggs. Not just because he is faster, but because I think he is a better reciever all around.

Good post though. I hadn't read the article until you posted it.

Candidate twisted his ankle, but is okay.

Among the players sitting out yesterday's practices was guard Tre Johnson, who suffered a strained hamstring while working out on a treadmill. "I didn't know you could pull your hamstring on a treadmill, but that's what he did," Spurrier said.

Funny

Rod Gardner will be perfect for this team. As soon as a D gets used to all these little fast guys going everywhere, Rod can be the change up and catch them off gaurd with his physical play.

WP: Zellner, 28, has made 17 starts in 57 career games. He made 15 starts for Dallas in 2001 and had a career-best three sacks, but started just twice last season.

WOW, a career best THREE sacks in 2001 - man, this guy's a monster ! ! Pay him what he wants. What, didn't he start every game last season? OH, only TWO - am I crazy, or are we scraping the bottom of the barrel here?

WOW, a career best THREE sacks in 2001 - man, this guy's a monster ! ! Pay him what he wants. What, didn't he start every game last season? OH, only TWO - am I crazy, or are we scraping the bottom of the barrel here?

You do realize if he came here he'd start ZERO games. You need to have depth at each position. And I really doubt a star player is going to come, sign for the minimum, and back up all year.

Originally posted by Rat_Boy

So, Patrick Johnson beat Champ? No big deal of course. I would still keep Skaggs over Johnson.

WHY??? I just can't understand why so many around here think SO highly of Justin Skaggs, it boggles the mind.

I know Johnson hasn't done much, but at least he's been able to get some playing time in an NFL game, something that Skaggs hasn't managed to do, save about 30 seconds I think.

SKaggs has been practicing againt the Skins D for what, three years now. Show me a play where Skaggs has even come close to making a onehanded catch over Champ, and then maybe I'll listen to you.

Until that happens, there's no WAY I would take Justin Skaggs over Patrick Johnson. No WAY

Johnson isn't a great WR, by any measure. But he does have enough experience and speed to be good if put in the right position -- namely, the slot.

If Johnson was a #1 or #2 WR on our team, I'd be worried. But right now, I think he and McCants will probably get mixed up at #4, depending on the situation. And that's a great choice to make.

Archived