Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flashback..............

Pete

Going through my garage tonight, I realized just how much stuff I have from my youth.

On the wall is the first fishing rod I ever had, with the original Penn real. Dad wanted a fishing buddy, and got it for me in 67. Next to it, the custom fiberglass 5.5 rod with Mitchell Garcia 302 he got me for my tenth birthday, 71. I still use them a few times a year.

The hand ax on the wood pile is from 73 when I started scouting, as is the blaze orange Everest back pack on the wall next to the Grateful Dead poster I got the same summer. Propped up in the corner, the 1955 Scott A****er 6.5 HP outboard I got in 70 isn't looking too good, but will run with some love:hammer:

On the shelf covered in dust is the old Super 8 movie camera with auto sealed beam light for night filming. The Brownie Hawkeye still works but 120 film is getting to costly. It was moms, and I got it in 68 when she got one of those new fangled things..................... a B&W Polaroid instant land camera. Gotta remember to throw away that 8 track player:doh:

Though the bike is long gone, I have the "Bike wrench" that came with my first two wheeler in 65. It will still tare the skin from your fingers when it slips. The red white and blue moto cross pants haven't fit in years, but matching enduro style boots are still fine to ride in. They have had a countless number of toe and side plates replaced since 75. The 31 / 30 Louieville Slugger in the corner with the glove on top are in great shape. Don’t play anymore, but the wood gets a work out at the cages from time to time. It does come around much faster then when I got it in 70.

There’s a crusty pair of drum sticks laying next to the incense burner covered with ash. The sticks are from around 73 to 75, and the burner is from seventy th………seventy o………..seventy fi………oh hell. I was too buzzed when I bought it to remember, but it was the same night I got the Glasshead bong I’m hitting on now. Seventy fi…fo…..oh skip it :high::high:

The Honda flywheel puller has been doing it since I first started wrenching on bikes as a kid in 72, as are the Craftsman wrenches I got about the same time. So many of my hand tools are from about that time, and have held up very well. My WWII Navy Kabar is still my favorite knife, and have never hunted without it since given to me by my uncle in 75. As I head for the door, there's the old wooden case my first set of Grumbacher oils came in back in 70. Pallets, knives, and cups are all there, though I haven’t replaced the paints or brushes in years now.

Man, if I went through the house, I would be righting all night. I’m kind of taken back now that I realize how many pieces of my youth are still hanging around.

So

GOT STUFF ?

:cheers:

It's hard to part with some of that stuff, isn't it?

A couple of things on my list:

- The helmet to a Redskin football uniform I got when I was 10 years old. You've seen them in the catalogues. I used to play entire games by myself in the front yard while (I found out later) my family watcched and laughed at me from the inside.

- Still have my high school letterman's jacket in the closet. Haven't worn it since my freshmen year in college ('83/'84)

Somewhere, though maybe gone now, are the 45's I bought as a kid. Presently though, I do have access to some wonderful memories in the form of books,toys, drawings,ect.. that I possessed along time ago. Couple of Star Trek books from teh mid 70's. Price of the Pheonix and fate of the pheonix. One dealing in the episodes as well. Many a comic book from the time. (The Byrne/ Claremont Xmen issues at their best for example). A Video tape of the final episode of MASH, commercials and all :cool:

A 14 lb bowling ball with my name inscribed when I joined a bowling league in Fairfax. (right across from the Memco on Pickett road for any lifers out there. :D )Still have 3 patches from that league too. My nephew just got done playing with a Cylon action figure along with several Micronaughts and Star Wars figures from the latter part of the 70's. I still have a couple of drawings I did in Woodson and soon there after.

And of course. 50 or so Marx Army men and Tanks from their awsome playsets. Sigh. :D

:cheers:

At my parents house, I still have unopened packages of "Pop Rocks" that I saved from way back. I have some first edition Dungeons and Dragons books and stuff that I didn't use as much as I collected and kept in mint condition. I had tons of Star Wars stuff but my brother destroyed it all, I was the one who took care of stuff, he destroyed stuff...:doh:

Archived