Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Latest TSN Redskins' Report

bulldog

Coaches have confidence in George, Husak after workouts

JUNE 22, 2001 Print it

The team has completed its "voluntary" workouts, and the big winner so far is Jeff George.

George performed well and won the confidence of Marty Schottenheimer. So far, George, quarterbacks coach Brian Schottenheimer, Marty's son, and the elder Schottenheimer have gotten along well.

Marty Schottenheimer has enough confidence in George that he has, for now, decided not to sign a veteran backup. Schottenheimer also realizes that now is not the time to jeopardize his relationship with George by bringing in a competitor for the starting job.

The other big winner in the "voluntary" workouts was backup quarterback Todd Husak. During the team's first minicamp in late April, Marty Schottenheimer said it would not be possible during the spring for Husak to convince him he could be the backup to George.

But Husak has done just that. He was impressive in his quick grasp and knowledge of the offense. He has been able to make the throws necessary to be successful in the team's new "west coast" offense.

Schottenheimer was right, though, in saying that Husak can't completely win the backup job in the spring. Husak has to continue his performance during training camp. No player will be under more pressure in practices, scrimmages and preseason games than Husak. If he shows any sign of regression, Schottenheimer will give serious thought to adding a veteran backup to the roster.

Certainly in terms of the salary cap, Schottenheimer has to be pulling for Husak to be the real deal. Schottenheimer would prefer to spend money in spots other than quarterback.

The team still needs to add a third-down back to the mix. The leading candidates seem to be Greg Hill, who played for Schottenheimer in Kansas City, and Byron Hanspard. Hanspard always has been known as a speed back but has never quite met the expectations that were established for him in the NFL.

It is tempting to think that Stephen Davis can work as an every-down back. He is an exceptional athlete and is quite capable as a receiver out of the backfield. He has the potential to put up Emmitt Smith-type numbers in rushing and receiving, given the chance.

The problem with that is that Davis has yet to show he can last through an entire season simply as the primary running back. To use him regularly in third-down passing situations almost is to invite fatigue and injuries.

The stare-down contest with Deion Sanders has begun, and the team expects to win. If Sanders is out of baseball, the team will expect him to be present when training camp opens. If he balks, the team is likely to ask for the remainder of his bonus money back and seek salary-cap relief.

POSITIONAL ANALYSIS

Safeties Few spots on the team show quite as much potential and quite as much mystery as the safety spots.

There are three young players vying for playing time and one veteran who needs to serve as a leader for those young players as well as improve some aspects of his performance.

Sam Shade is the starting strong safety. He is a more than solid in the running game and in run support. He still needs to improve on his pass coverage, though. Teams with good tight ends tend to take advantage of their matchups against Shade. Still, Shade is a solid player and a good role model for the young safeties the team likely will rely on this season.

The team has three potential up-and-comers. Josh Symonette is the backup to Shade but has shown enough skills and smarts to play free safety as well. He is a hard-hitter and a good special teams player.

David Terrell is an outstanding special teams player. His performance during the "voluntary" workouts were impressive enough that the team felt it could, for now anyway, be effective without a proven veteran at the position.

Ifeanyi Ohalete might be the most intriguing prospect of all. He has a reputation as a big hitter and might have been a draft choice had not an ankle injury cost him much of his senior season at Southern Cal. Ohalete could be impressive enough once the pads are on and the hitting begins to win the job from Terrell.

No matter who ends up starting, the team feels it has a solid corps of safeties, as well as special teams players

It's nothing we haven't known about for several weeks, but it's nice that it's being repeated. The more that Marty says this, the more I believe that he truly is impressed by Husak and that he's not simply posturing before signing a FA QB. I especially hope the news about George is true.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

the only thing I regret now is if Husak is the real deal we only have him signed through this season and he will be a restricted free agent in 2002 instead of 2003.

we should have worked out the bonus last year so we had him locked up for THREE instead of TWO years.

That could be a mistake that costs us some money down the road.

Husak's not going anywhere. Look how long it took Hasselbeck to leave GB despite being regarded as the premier backup/QB prospect in the NFL by many people for several years. Besides, I'd bet he can see the writing on the wall for George and knows that he's the QB of the future once George leaves in 1-2 years. And as Buddha says, his ability to negotiate will be greatly restricted.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Camp and preseason games will show us if Husak is the Skins starting QB circa 2003. I personally think he will shine considering he was a student of the west coast offense for four years and has this season to get the new terminology and timing down.

Will we keep a backup free safety and Stong safety or a guy wh can backup both spots? Because we will keep 5 cornerbacks maybe 6 if slimetime stays with he team. I can't see us having 10 Defensive Backs on the team

------------------

Dave

Husak isn't going anywhere. As pointed out, given that he'll be an exclusive rights FA in 2002 AND THEN a restricted FA, we have him by the short and curlies.

We will have all the leverage for the next few years. And he'll be a nice cheap back-up until Marty decides the direction in which he wants to go.

I expect that Marty will exploit this situation to his advantage. He'll sign Husak for cheap next year. And then by the 4th year, if Husak has a shot at being our starter, then we can tender him a cool Million ... which esentially makes him a franchise player (1st round pick).

By not reaching the standard 3-4 year deal from the out-set, the only thing his agent secured was the ability for Husak to get #2 money. But Husak is in no position to demand starters money until 2004. So we are fine. By then, we'll also know what we have in Sage.

HOpefully Sage and Husak will prove to be younger versions of Matt Hassleback and Aarron Brooks.

the only trouble with that wish is that neither Husak nor Rosenfels has the kind of arm strength Hasselback or Brooks has.

now Husak makes up for that in accuracy and smarts in running an offense from what we are reading, but I don't know of any skills Rosenfels has that compensate for his inability to hit the deep ball regularly to keep defenses honest.

He runs a 4.7 which is not as slow as Elvis Grbac, but it doesn't put him in Donovan McNabb or Steve Young territory either. So, his athleticism is limited as well.

Having a rocket for an arm isn't everything. Ask Jeff George. I don't know jack about Sage and his skills but I believe that both he and Husak are smart enough to throw the ball away and scramble to the 1st down and if needed, out of bounds.

------------------

Pootie Tang whoop your ass so bad, you can write it off on your taxes!

you know

i wouldn't judge a guy's athleticism based upon some 40yd dash time. damn man... it's so much more than how fast a guy can run in a straight line. People play faster then they can run. Playing on a 100yd Football field is a lot different than running 40 yds on a track.

I'm just saying you can't say he isn't all that athletic, considering that "scouters" say that he is very athletic.

how is he very athletic?

doesn't have an accurate or long arm, doesn't have breakaway speed, doesn't have good footwork or mechanics.

Sounds like the scouting report on Trent Dilfer, and we all see how much interest he is generating in free agency after getting a Super Bow ring, thanks in large measure to his defensive mates and a 1,400 yard running back. smile.gif

Archived