Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Social Experiment - Who should I vote for?

Mass_SkinsFan

I'm Registered as an Independent. I find myself generally voting for the Republican candidates most of the time. Though I often ignore races where I don't believe there's a candidate running who meets my requirements. I have worked for a 3rd party campaign in the past (Lowell Weicker for CT Governor in 1990) We Won, then Weicker screwed the entire state by going back on his promise not to institute a state income tax. Personally I consider myself a Conservative; though I'm probably closer to an Authoritarian on many issues.

Honestly, I don't think you should waste your vote. I mean, I completely understand what you mean about how you feel your vote won't really count, so I guess you feel like your one vote wont win or lose the election for anyone in particular.

In NC, we haven't voted for a democrat POTUS since Carter. This is a pretty red state. Now, with this particular race aside (which is an anomaly for NC b/c to say the race is very close here right now is an understatement), the republicans have always won, like I said, since Carter. But just b/c I knew this information, it didn't stop me from voting for my particular candidate in 2000 or 2004. I knew Gore and Kerry didn't stand a chance here, but I felt like I still had to vote for them (rather than another party) to prove to the other party (republican) that they wouldn't get my vote unless they made some fundamental changes.

I feel the same way about 3rd party voters. I get the whole argument, "they won't probably wont win anyway, so why waste a vote on them", but to me, you have to stand up for what you believe in. Nothing will ever change if every single person feels like you do right now (no offense).

I'm just saying, you have to stand up for your beliefs and what's important to you, regardless if you think it's a wasted vote or not or else nothing will ever change in this country.

Honestly, I don't think you should waste your vote. I mean, I completely understand what you mean about how you feel your vote won't really count, so I guess you feel like your one vote wont win or lose the election for anyone in particular.

In NC, we haven't voted for a democrat POTUS since Carter. This is a pretty red state. Now, with this particular race aside (which is an anomaly for NC b/c to say the race is very close here right now is an understatement), the republicans have always won, like I said, since Carter. But just b/c I knew this information, it didn't stop me from voting for my particular candidate in 2000 or 2004. I knew Gore and Kerry didn't stand a chance here, but I felt like I still had to vote for them (rather than another party) to prove to the other party (republican) that they wouldn't get my vote unless they made some fundamental changes.

I feel the same way about 3rd party voters. I get the whole argument, "they won't probably wont win anyway, so why waste a vote on them", but to me, you have to stand up for what you believe in. Nothing will ever change if every single person feels like you do right now (no offense).

I'm just saying, you have to stand up for your beliefs and what's important to you, regardless if you think it's a wasted vote or not or else nothing will ever change in this country.

brandy, I thank you very much for the information and suggestions, but I think you're missing one thing.... I don't HAVE a candidate right now. For me it's about ideology, not party affiliation. Coming into this discussion I really didn't see anyone out there who I felt had an ideology anywhere near mine. I have little to no interest in voting for someone based solely on their party, so I'm looking for someone whose political ideology is as close to mine as possible. The individuals who have pointed me towards the Constitution Party candidate have made a reasonable case for their guy.

As for wasting a vote.... I do it routinely by voting for whoever is challenging Edward Kennedy or John Kerry, so that's not an issue with me.

brandy, I thank you very much for the information and suggestions, but I think you're missing one thing.... I don't HAVE a candidate right now. For me it's about ideology, not party affiliation. Coming into this discussion I really didn't see anyone out there who I felt had an ideology anywhere near mine. I have little to no interest in voting for someone based solely on their party, so I'm looking for someone whose political ideology is as close to mine as possible. The individuals who have pointed me towards the Constitution Party candidate have made a reasonable case for their guy.

As for wasting a vote.... I do it routinely by voting for whoever is challenging Edward Kennedy or John Kerry, so that's not an issue with me.

Then I agree with you, since you don't have a candidate, that the constitution party is gonna be your best bet.

MSF - Thanks for letting me know your views. I was going to try to argue for your support of Obama, but your views and his views (as I see them) are drastically different and I think I would be wasting my time and yours.

You're the second person today to have come to that conclusion, redskin-one. I won't say that surprises me too much, since I really hadn't seen much of anything he and I had in common, but I wasn't sure if someone in the Obama camp might have tried to come up with SOMETHING.

Thanks for at least taking the time to look at it.

You're the second person today to have come to that conclusion, redskin-one. I won't say that surprises me too much, since I really hadn't seen much of anything he and I had in common, but I wasn't sure if someone in the Obama camp might have tried to come up with SOMETHING.

Thanks for at least taking the time to look at it.

No problem. I had a good time taking a closer look at this. I'm more convinced in my decision with this exercise than before. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you.

We've had a LOT of discussions and arguements in The Tailgate in the last months over the politics of the upcoming Presidential election in November. Many of you know that I am a registered Independent and that I really have no dog in the fight this November...
Why not just write in a candidate?

No problem. I had a good time taking a closer look at this. I'm more convinced in my decision with this exercise than before. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you.

Glad I could be of service. What you're talking about is one of the side-effects that I hadn't thought about until after I posted the original RFI... the fact that people were going to have to take a hard look at their candidate and see why they were voting FOR them as well.

Archived