Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Rams' Incognito fined for verbal abuse of official, penalties

TheNewU

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3649168

"Richie Incognito's alleged actions in the St. Louis Rams' first win of the season did not go unnoticed by the NFL.

Incognito

The league has fined the Rams offensive lineman a total of $35,000 for multiple offenses allegedly committed during the Rams' 19-17 victory over the Washington Redskins in Week 6.

Incognito, penalized three times during the game, was fined $25,000 for repeated verbal abuse of a game official; $5,000 for a major facemask; and $5,000 for a chop block..."

still wish that last penalty made brown miss the FG

This was one fine given by the NFL that was actually deserved, imo.

Which ONE fine are you referring to? I'm certainly no fan of Indisguise but I am totally against fining guys for personal fouls unless it results in injury or there's helmet to helmet contact on a receiver.

In the heat of battle, the referees are as much the enemy as the other team. Guys get pissed and frustrated all the time, especially the guys in the trenches. I agree he should have been fined for "repeated verbal abuse" of the refs but I think $25,000 was excessive, especially for a lineman, and I don't think the other two penalties should have resulted in fines at all.

Troy Polamalu is 100% correct. The NFL has gotten "fine happy" and it's taking away from the game.

Which ONE fine are you referring to? I'm certainly no fan of Indisguise but I am totally against fining guys for personal fouls unless it results in injury or there's helmet to helmet contact on a receiver.

In the heat of battle, the referees are as much the enemy as the other team. Guys get pissed and frustrated all the time, especially the guys in the trenches. I agree he should have been fined for "repeated verbal abuse" of the refs but I think $25,000 was excessive, especially for a lineman, and I don't think the other two penalties should have resulted in fines at all.

Troy Polamalu is 100% correct. The NFL has gotten "fine happy" and it's taking away from the game.

I agree with Jumbo and Polamalu. I don't like Incognito either, but there was no reason to dip into the mans paycheck. I think that a fine, (though not $25K), is warranted for "repeated verbal abuse" is ok, because the league needs to set a precedent. The refs do need to be in control and their authority will be undermined if there is no deterrent for being an ass-hat. Player jaw at officials all the time, and get away with it. Incognito should've just left well enough alone.

As for the other fines? I strongly disagree with them. No one got hurt.

The current policy is a joke.

Archived