Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Line That Didn't Hog The LImelight

Chrisbob74

Bit of Skins history for you all to enjoy:

A Line That Hog The Limelight

The Redskins enjoyed great success throughout the 80's and even if you don't remember that time too well you are very likely to have heard of “The Hogs” – the famous Redskins offensive line that was the centrepiece of an offense that set scoring records and ran roughshod over opponents during that time. If your memory is a little better or you know more of the Redskins history, you may have heard of “The Fun Bunch” - which celebrated many a Redskins touchdown - or “The Posse” - the Redskins feared group of wide receivers. Again, its offense that seems to dominate the pages of Redskins history throughout those good times but football is a team game and surely there must have being more to those Redskins teams than a bunch of guys that inspired men to wear pig noses and dresses?

The fact is, whilst “The Hogs” got the press, there was another line in Washington that was just as vital to the team's ability to win and had its share of personalities and rags to riches stories – the defensive line.

Click the link for the rest of the article.

Butz, Grant, Mann and Manley were VERY formiddible. You couldn't double one, or the others would get you.

I remember in the 1986 regular season, John Elway did a QB draw in a regular season game and scored a TD. They tried the same play in the SB a year later and Dave Butz stopped him cold for a loss. It was Dave's smarts that he never got credit for that saved a TD in the SB and we were only down 10-0 instead of 14-0.

There is not one thing from that video link that doesn't get me jacked. The crowd at RFK. That fool Gary Hogeboom. Tony Dorsett picking his ass off the natural grass at RFK. My man Dexter Manley tipping the pass and big Darryl Grant breaking tackles and rumbling into the end zone to seal the win. I remember Grant on the cover of SI (before it sucked) like it was yesterday.

Archived