Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's time to get excited

Bacon

Despite my age, I have actually been actively watching this team for about 11 seasons now. Obviously, heartbreak has ensued on more than one occasion. This team has played up to their competition, only to lose to lesser opponents, blown huge leads, and generally managed to find ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on a regular basis since Gibbs mach I ended. The last decade has not been a very good time to be a Redskins fan.

Over the past 5 seasons, however, some signs of life have shown up. We played in three playoff games, winning one, showed that we can consistently run the ball, and our defense has won us a number of games that we should have lost, and kept us in some games we should have been blown out in. However, there was always something missing. Gibbs got us back to respectability in his second term, and for that I applaud him. But where was the killer instinct? Where was the swagger?

The fact that Zorn has inherited the best set of players the Redskins have boasted in quite some time is a reason to maybe think about getting excited. 4-1 records can be deceiving. But the real reason to get excited is that the long-absent killer instinct and swagger have returned. Did you see that 4th and 1 we took with the game on the line? That was a thing of beauty. Gibbs would likely have not called that play last season, even with things going in our favor on the ground as they were today. And Zorn called a similarly gutsy play at the end of the game against New Orleans. That they both went our way is just icing on the cake.

This team has begun to close things out the right way. We're kneeling on the ball to finish off games. We're making our opponents call desperate plays with the game on the line. And they're pretty good opponents too. 13-8, in fact. Our next test is to show that we can beat the weak teams as well. And by "beat", I mean "dominate." We are not an elite team yet, but we can become one by playing our best ball 24/7, no matter the opponent. Of course, I'll be pleased with any score, as long as we win, but if we can win by some decent margins and show that our offense is no joke (the defense is obviously very good right now), others will start to see what I'm seeing. It already appears that they are to some degree.

It's a long season, and we're going to have to play even better down the stretch when our opponents' seasons (and perhaps our own) are on the line. Philly, Dallas, New York, Pittsburgh, and Seattle aren't going to be messing around. But this team has some fight in it. We're scrappy, and talented to boot.

:point2sky

Archived