Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley and Sellers blocking - the biggest improvements.

desertfox59

While improvements in play were made in many locations on both sides of the ball this week, I'd like to suggest that the biggest improvements were made by Chris Cooley and Mike Sellers in how they successfully executed the fundamentals of blocking. last week both Chris and Mike were not getting their heads across and not initiating contact and would end most blocking plays watching their guys make the tackles.

I'll provide an example of the improvements I saw for each player:

Cooley example:

At 8:33 left in the 3rd facing a second and 10 we ran a hand off left to Portis.

The first thing you notice about Cooley is that, at the snap, his point of leverage is lower than the Defensive ends on the double team with Samuals. Once Samuals has control of the d-end, (although Samual's head is on the wrong side) Cooley slips off and makes contact with the OLB getting his head across and initiating contact. Result: 12 yard gain for Portis.

Althought Cooley negelects to stay with this block and maintain contact, it is at least refereshing to see him executing some of the basics of openfield blocking.

Sellers example:

We all saw Sellers blocking on Portis's first touchdown but that play was indicitave of how Mike had been blocking all day. Here is another example of how much improved Mike's blocking was today as apposed to last week:

At 7:22 in the 3rd on 1 and 10 we ran a lead play between left guard and tackle out of the "I" formation. The guard got a good seal (the d-tackles ran a twist) and the playside d-end ran himself out of the play leaving a huge hole with Sellers leading the way. The play side OLB incorrectly read pass because Samual's went with the D-end stepping back to insure he was out of the play and Campbell made a believeable pass fake. Sellers had about ten yard of open field to try to make a block on the more agile OLB a tuff task for any fullback. How did Mike do it? He attacked under control and broke down his feet at the point of contact and once the OLB had committed to Seller's left, Mike finished him off by initiating and maintaining contact. Result after a nice read by Betts: 14 yards.

Keep up the good work fellas, If we want to be successfull this year you both will need to build on an good game blocking.

While improvements in play were made in many locations on both sides of the ball this week, I'd like to suggest that the biggest improvements were made by Chris Cooley and Mike Sellers in how they successfully executed the fundamentals of blocking. last week both Chris and Mike were not getting their heads across and not initiating contact and would end most blocking plays watching their guys make the tackles.

I'll provide an example of the improvements I saw for each player:

Cooley example:

At 8:33 left in the 3rd facing a second and 10 we ran a hand off left to Portis.

The first thing you notice about Cooley is that, at the snap, his point of leverage is lower than the Defensive ends on the double team with Samuals. Once Samuals has control of the d-end, (although Samual's head is on the wrong side) Cooley slips off and makes contact with the OLB getting his head across and initiating contact. Result: 12 yard gain for Portis.

Althought Cooley negelects to stay with this block and maintain contact, it is at least refereshing to see him executing some of the basics of openfield blocking.

Sellers example:

We all saw Sellers blocking on Portis's first touchdown but that play was indicitave of how Mike had been blocking all day. Here is another example of how much improved Mike's blocking was today as apposed to last week:

At 7:22 in the 3rd on 1 and 10 we ran a lead play between left guard and tackle out of the "I" formation. The guard got a good seal (the d-tackles ran a twist) and the playside d-end ran himself out of the play leaving a huge hole with Sellers leading the way. The play side OLB incorrectly read pass because Samual's went with the D-end stepping back to insure he was out of the play and Campbell made a believeable pass fake. Sellers had about ten yard of open field to try to make a block on the more agile OLB a tuff task for any fullback. How did Mike do it? He attacked under control and broke down his feet at the point of contact and once the OLB had committed to Seller's left, Mike finished him off by initiating and maintaining contact. Result after a nice read by Betts: 14 yards.

Keep up the good work fellas, If we want to be successfull this year you both will need to build on an good game blocking.

Good point DesertFox. Their blocking was much better. Cooley's blocking last week was awful.

yeah looks like Cooley was sleeping in first game. they are not the greatest blockers in league but they can definitly do a better job at it. hope they continue in positive direction and help this team win more and more games.

Archived