Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget Sopcast, NFL to begin streaming some games online

FutureOwner

So they will stream complete games with commercials?

I don't really know. My guess is that they will have different commercials than you see on tv (because a lot of those are local) but they will have the actual broadcast with the same announcers.

Historically, the NFL has tightly held rights to its games and even to clips of highlights. It has proceeded slowly into the online world, in part, to avoid antagonizing networks who collectively pay the league $3.7 billion a year in rights fees to carry their games.

Nice. It would be better if all games were available online as a paid package , Yahoo actually tried doing that for international fans. Still , this is a nice step towards that goal.

So it is just sunday night games, besides the first NFL game of the year? They are on NBC, which anyone can view with only local channels?

You're right, oops. I forgot Sunday night games weren't on ESPN anymore. Still it's good for two reasons - those living or travelling abroad can watch, and hopefully the NFL will like the experiment and begin putting more games online next year.

I believe that you can already purchase a package to watch all of the NFL season online if you are overseas. They can't broadcast the regular Sunday games online nationally because of their agreement with DirecTV.

Update - For those outside of North America:

http://www.nfl.com/help/gamepass

Looks like it's still out of date, but the NFL does allow you to stream whole games online if you're not in the States. At $279.99 for a season though, it costs even more than the Ticket.....

The next thing I'd like to see the NFL do is begin putting old games online. I would have loved to watch this past season's games during the offseason - it would have made a lot of arguments easier to settle. I'm not sure what the agreement with the networks says about old games, though.

Archived