Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. destroys terrorist camp in Iraq

Many of the war protestors against the administration, claimed the administration had proven no connection between Iraq and Al-Qaeda, WMD or 9/11. Well, it is still unproven whether or not there was a connection between Iraq and 9/11 or whether they have WMD.

But there never was any doubt in my mind that Iraq harbored terrorists -- if they didn't outright support them -- and as far as I am concerned a f****** terrorist is a f****** terrorist. And I was glad to read here where they blew these f****** off the map. :cheers:

Some naive anti-war protestors will probably still claim that these terrorists were not Al-Qaeda, but were ONLY Ansar al-Islam terrorists, as if that makes a damn bit of difference. But that would be like trying to console Custer's 7th Calvary at the Little Big Horn -- when arrows were flying over their heads -- that all those indians out there are not really hostile Sioux, in that some are Cheyenne and Arapahoes. :laugh:

US, Iraqi Kurds Say They Routed Qaeda-Linked Islamists

5 minutes ago Add World - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Joseph Logan

BIYARA, Iraq (Reuters) - U.S. special forces and their Iraqi Kurdish allies claimed on Tuesday that they had crushed a militant Islamist group in Kurdish-held northern Iraq (news - web sites) which they accuse of ties to Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s al Qaeda network.

Washington also claims the several hundred mainly Kurdish fighters of Ansar al-Islam are a link between al Qaeda and Iraqi President Saddam Hussein (news - web sites), who it is fighting to topple over his alleged weapons of mass destruction.

A special-forces commander said a Kurdish-led ground offensive last week -- preceded by U.S. cruise missile attacks -- had killed most of the members of Ansar al-Islam, and driven survivors from territory they held near the Iranian border.

"In a day and a half, a terrorist organization that gripped this area was rooted out," the officer, who refused to be identified, told reporters at a military base of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), near the site of the fighting.

The offensive, U.S. and PUK officers said, consisted of a rush by several thousand Kurdish guerrillas, backed by U.S. air strikes and what U.S. officers indicated was less than 100 special-forces troops.

The officer said "several hundred" Ansar and al Qaeda fighters had been killed in attacks on villages Ansar controlled below the mountains lining the Iranian border, and that survivors had either fled across the border or holed up near it.

He also renewed U.S. accusations the group tried to make chemical weapons in its stronghold, in the area Kurds wrested from Baghdad's control in 1991, but gave no evidence.

"There were things that we found that to my mind confirmed that this site was used for chemical and biological production," he said, refusing to elaborate.

I'm all for this action, but these a-holes were in a Kurdish encliave out of Saddam's reach. They were, in fact, supported by Iran, not Iraq. The Kurds have several competing factions, and Saddam and the Iranians play them off each other.

Saddam supported Abu Nidal and Fatah, and was/is supporting Hamas, but there was no real Al Qaeda connection until our attack on Iraq, and Al Qaeda followers jumped at the chance to face the American military.

But as you said in your infinite wisdom, Inmate, a terrorist is a terrorist, and I'm glad we nailed these SOBs!!!!!:cheers:

Archived