Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsweek: We the People of Faith

Goaldeje

Click Link for More:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2008/07/we_the_people_of_faith.html

You wouldn’t think religion would matter much in this presidential election. There would seem to be so many more pressing issues: oppressive gasoline and food prices; a president widely regarded as a failure; a foreign policy that has us adrift in the world and mired in an unpopular war. Why would faith be an issue?

The answer is simple: it’s in our genes. Arguing about religion is central to our public life, and has been for nearly four centuries. If you cover politics, as I do, or write a book about political history, as I’ve just done ("The Thirteen American Arguments," Random House), you know that we separate church and state, but not faith and politics.

The enduring argument over the role and limits of faith in public life is one of the thirteen I identify and explain in the book. We are uniquely born and bred to argue. That we do – that we MUST – is a blessing rather than a burden. It’s how we nurture freedom and progress.

We have no official religion, of course – that was one reason why we fought a revolution – and yet we are one of the most prayerful nations on earth. We see little distinction between the idioms and icons of faith and politics. Presidential candidates’ religious beliefs – or lack of them – have been topics of debate since Jefferson’s day.

Presidential elections are about character and a candidate’s faith outlook is evidence. We are a tolerant people, as the latest Pew Survey reminds us: more than two thirds of us think that their own religion is not the only route to eternal salvation. But we still like to know what role faith plays in the lives of those who would lead us.

Click Link for More:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2008/07/we_the_people_of_faith.html

We are a tolerant people, as the latest Pew Survey reminds us: more than two thirds of us think that their own religion is not the only route to eternal salvation.
That's not tolerance, its ignorance. And I don't mean that in an insensitive way, so please don't get me wrong. But anytime you make a truth claim (which is what any religion does), you mean that something contrary to it is false.

To quote Ravi Zacharias "Truth excludes the opposite.":2cents:

Archived