Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kick for Nick (Iraqi soccer story)

WVUforREDSKINS

A Cave Creek teen is touching the lives of children in Iraq with soccer.

Edward Feiller, 18, has collected about 600 soccer balls and expects a total of 2,000 in a few weeks. All the balls will be sent to Iraqi children.

Edward was inspired by Pfc. Nick Maderas, who was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in 2006. During Maderas' deployment, he noticed children playing soccer with tin cans and started the Kick for Nick program.

So far, the program has sent more than 5,000 soccer balls overseas.

"If one kid picks up a soccer ball and decides not to be a suicide bomber or a terrorist, then this whole mission is worth it," Edward said.

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=825b286d-3f2a-493d-8f1b-829e0c2654ff

Not enough stories like this.

I love the humanitarism (is that a word?) but I really wish that kids would focus on America first. I would NEVER tell a kid that he should focus on one thing and not the other because I believe that anything like this is just good for the human soul but I wish we would start looking out for us first.

I love the humanitarism (is that a word?) but I really wish that kids would focus on America first. I would NEVER tell a kid that he should focus on one thing and not the other because I believe that anything like this is just good for the human soul but I wish we would start looking out for us first.

Mike, don't you think this type of endeavor is in our best interest?

I love the humanitarism (is that a word?)

I think it's humanitarianism. Maybe.

And I understand what you are saying about worrying about us first. But this isn't a bad thing. You can't give soccer balls away here!

When I read this story I had HH's exact thoughts. Plus with all the bad news out of Iraq this is an even better story. The Iraqi kids are the unseen victims.

Imagine playing soccer with cans being normal? I applaud this guy and am gonna look into sending a few bucks to donate.

Mike, don't you think this type of endeavor is in our best interest?

I believe that I expressed that but that I wish kids and all Americans would focus on our country first. there are thousands of kids that got hit by Katrina alone that could use soccer balls or any sign of good will to help improve spirits and morale in their homes.

I do like the kid's heart and I would never express that to him. But in my head I would hope he would also do something for us as well.

I believe that I expressed that but that I wish kids and all Americans would focus on our country first. there are thousands of kids that got hit by Katrina alone that could use soccer balls or any sign of good will to help improve spirits and morale in their homes.

I do like the kid's heart and I would never express that to him. But in my head I would hope he would also do something for us as well.

OK. I guess my point was that it serves us to be the best humanitarians we can throughout the world. And I guess I believe we are in a position to be helpful to our own as well as other nations.

I forget what the name of the thread was, but Larry started one that became a Katrina debate. There were a couple of youngsters from this board who had mentioned spending time in New Orleans. So I think our youth is taking care of our own. I see it in the church I attend. Also, as much as I dislike Jimmy Carter and his foolish foreign affairs agenda, his Habitat for Humanity has served many and much of the help he receives is from our youth.

his habitat for humanity does a great thing and I applauded him for that. Its just recently he's fallen out of good grace with me.

I dont think its bad to think globally but I prefer to act locally. I give like this.

family

friends

city

county

state

nationally

global

if my home isnt good and taken care of I am not going to be able to properly help any one else.

I dont think its bad to think globally but I prefer to act locally. I give like this.

family

friends

city

county

state

nationally

global

if my home isnt good and taken care of I am not going to be able to properly help any one else.

I agree with this. But sometimes I feel a need to reach further and I guess it is a self satisfying idea to help someone less fortunate further away.

I think I am going to have to send this kid a soccerball for the Iraqi kids and to balance it off, I am going to go by my usual spot to find the homeless guys who hang out near Walmart and buy them a big box of chicken.

Archived