Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cap Hit?

Deadlyforce

Now that we traded for James (a former first round pick) could be a great addition if healthy i was wondering if we are responsible for his cap hit being a high first round pick or is the vikings going to take the hit? Does anyone know? good pick up to say the least for a 7th rounder! :dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

ok so if that is true according to http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Minnesota-Vikings-Salaries he would only cost us about 400K on the cap this year while he would cost minnesota over 3mil this year and if healthy and he makes an impact or atleast not force us to use washington as a lineman on third down this could be a steal of the offseason as according to espn roughly 20 teams was gonna get him off waivers! :dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck :helmet: :logo: :point2sky :cheers:

Unless we offer a new contract :doh: , you are correct.

Here is a question I would like to pose:

What if - and I know how you feel about offering him a new contract - we offer him a new deal now before he has a chance to get his numbers up? We wouldn't be held to it if he doesn't make the roster, but offer him something commensurate with his current numbers.

That would give us a lock on him for a few years with maybe a bit more of a cap hit, but would be better than if he comes up with a monster year in the last year of his rook contract and we lose him cause we don't want to pay him huge dollars next year.

Thoughts?

According to JLC his base salary for 2008 is $.695K. That leaves 3 scenarios:

1) He makes the team, we give up a 2009 7th rounder, and he counts $.695K against the cap.

2) He gets injured during preseason and is placed on IR with a cap hit of $.695K (draft pick depends on "conditions")

3) He doesn't make the team, we give up nothing and there is no cap hit.

edit: Apparently JLC was wrong about the numbers(shocking). I have updated them.

Archived