Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jerseys - Game-Worn, Team-Issued, Authentic, Replica, Fake, and everything in between

Mark The Homer

This is what I remember:

In the late 80s or early 90s when the manufacturers started putting there logos on the sleeves of the jerseys starter made the Redskins Jerseys with press on numbers.

1997 Wilson made then Wilson made them with press on numbers.

1998 the Redskins went back to Starter for one season.

1999 - 2001 the Jerseys were made by Adidas 1999-2000 with press on numbers and 2001 the Redskins were one of the last teams to go to sew on numbers.

2002 - Present Reebok made the Redskins Jerseys with press on numbers for all the NFL Teams and the new NFL Equipment Shield..

2003 They put the Redskins Logo below the NFL Shield.

Great info from Fuji and Mark!

I seem to remember that in '90, the first year logos appeared on the Skins jerseys, they wore MacGregor's. Can't find a pic, though. I'll have to dig out my yearbooks sometime and take a look.

It might be a good idea to have this thread stickied and put in its proper place for easy reference.

After a while, it might disappear into the archives and will be required to "bump" to get it back into view.

I agree...sticky it so it doesn't get buried. :thumbsup:

Great thread Mark.

I've got this one, minus the autograph:

sammyjersey.jpg

Anybody know why Mitchell & Ness seem to only be making Theisman jersey's for the Redskins now? I remember they used to have Baugh, Huff, Sonny, D. Williams, Theisman, and Ricky Ervins. What gives?

Check out these sites. Also, search ebay for Redskins Ness and a few M&N's will show up, but be careful. As you probably already know, there are tons of counterfeit jerseys on ebay. Distant Replays and Yesterday's Heroes are authorized M&N dealers and can be trusted. Hope this helps.

http://www.retrothrowbacks.com/nflthrowbackjerseys.html

http://www.distantreplays.com/distant/dept.asp?dept_id=3013

Great info from Fuji and Mark!

I seem to remember that in '90, the first year logos appeared on the Skins jerseys, they wore MacGregor's. Can't find a pic, though. I'll have to dig out my yearbooks sometime and take a look.

I own a 1989 Skins game jersey and it has the tight sleeves, the "M" logo on the sleeve for MacGregor, and also the Varsity font for the name on back, not the current straight font. It's missing the nfl shield, which apparently didn't start until 1990 or 1991.

I have a few Adidas jerseys, one Starter, and one MacGregor jersey, and I'll get pics of them posted eventually.

Check out these sites. Also, search ebay for Redskins Ness and a few M&N's will show up, but be careful. As you probably already know, there are tons of counterfeit jerseys on ebay. Distant Replays and Yesterday's Heroes are authorized M&N dealers and can be trusted. Hope this helps.

http://www.retrothrowbacks.com/nflthrowbackjerseys.html

Great link. Interesting that Sonny's 1974 jersey had a round collar, not V shaped like today. Also, Sam's 1969 jersey has no name on back, which is apparently how it was back then. Note that all those jerseys - Jurgy, Moseley, and Theismann, have the Varsity font for the name. NFL.com sells Dexter Manley throwbacks with the incorrect (straight) font in back.

I own a 1989 Skins game jersey and it has the tight sleeves, the "M" logo on the sleeve for MacGregor, and also the Varsity font for the name on back, not the current straight font. It's missing the nfl shield, which apparently didn't start until 1990 or 1991.

I have a few Adidas jerseys, one Starter, and one MacGregor jersey, and I'll get pics of them posted eventually.

Great link. Interesting that Sonny's 1974 jersey had a round collar, not V shaped like today. Also, Sam's 1969 jersey has no name on back, which is apparently how it was back then. Note that all those jerseys - Jurgy, Moseley, and Theismann, have the Varsity font for the name. NFL.com sells Dexter Manley throwbacks with the incorrect (straight) font in back.

I own one of the M&N Jurgensen jerseys, and it's definitely a nice piece of work. I like the round collar, and it seems accurate for the era. I don't think they went to v-necks until around '78.

Funny thing about the NOB fonts...in Super Bowl VII, they used the block font, same as today's jersey. But I think that's the only time they used that font from '70 all the way up until '92 or so. My guess is that they had to rush order new game jerseys for the SB and that was the only kind available.

I own one of the M&N Jurgensen jerseys, and it's definitely a nice piece of work. I like the round collar, and it seems accurate for the era. I don't think they went to v-necks until around '78.

Funny thing about the NOB fonts...in Super Bowl VII, they used the block font, same as today's jersey. But I think that's the only time they used that font from '70 all the way up until '92 or so. My guess is that they had to rush order new game jerseys for the SB and that was the only kind available.

Yeah - because I swear I saw the straight font in that SB, but it didnt make sense. Because none of the other jerseys had it. That explains it.

Yep, I'm looking at pics in the Redskins Encyclopedia. It shows the Varsity font in the playoffs and the straight font in the SB. Here's proof: http://www.uspresswire.com/image/2157180

Thanks, bro :cheers:

Disturbed1 - best place to get gamers is during Collectors Day at Fedexfield in January, IMO. They also pop up on eBay once in a while. There's also a few obscure sites that sell them. For example, www.jimyackel.com has a Conway available right now. Google around and see what you can find.

Redskins8181,

Wow, that's not a collection, that's a museum! You have some nice stuff, man. I am totally jealous and humbled.

I have a ton of questions.

007.jpg

re above, that's the '94 jersey. Was that jersey used exclusively that year? Or was it just used one or two games? I have no recall, but I suspect the latter. Also, that's obviously a retail jersey, right? Is it an authentic? Did the NFL or Redskins sell retail jerseys back then other than authentic?

013.jpg

re above, I've got a B. Johnson jersey that looks exactly like yours. It's white, it's authentic, but it has an Adidas logo patch, which is odd (you'd think it would be embroidered). I believe mine is from 1999. Made in the USA.

016.jpg

re above, that's a game jersey, right? If so, it proves that Wilson sponsored in 1997. Nice!

018.jpg

re above, that's a MacGregor Sand-Knit, right? That's an authentic, right? What year is that? Sweet jersey. Did the league sell non-authentic jerseys back then? I'm thinking no.

022.jpg

re above, is that an authentic? Could it be a knock off? Are the arrows on the sleeves patches which are sewn on? Is the fabric spandex all around or not?

024.jpg

re above, same questions as above.

026.jpg

Tell me about this jersey.

May I use some of your pics in Post #1 eventually?

Thanks!

Yeah - because I swear I saw the straight font in that SB, but it didnt make sense. Because none of the other jerseys had it. That explains it.

Yep, I'm looking at pics in the Redskins Encyclopedia. It shows the Varsity font in the playoffs and the straight font in the SB. Here's proof: http://www.uspresswire.com/image/2157180

Thanks, bro :cheers:

Disturbed1 - best place to get gamers is during Collectors Day at Fedexfield in January, IMO. They also pop up on eBay once in a while. There's also a few obscure sites that sell them. For example, www.jimyackel.com has a Conway available right now. Google around and see what you can find.

Redskins8181,

Wow, that's not a collection, that's a museum! You have some nice stuff, man. I am totally jealous and humbled.

You shouldn't be! I don't own a single game used jersey.

I have a ton of questions.

007.jpg

re above, that's the '94 jersey. Was that jersey used exclusively that year? Or was it just used one or two games? I have no recall, but I suspect the latter. Also, that's obviously a retail jersey, right? Is it an authentic? Did the NFL or Redskins sell retail jerseys back then other than authentic?

This jersey was worn a couple of times during the '94 season. I think they wore the burgundy version 2 or 3 times as well.

It is a Ripon jersey with Starter logos. This jersey was blank, except the shoulder patches and Starter logs when the person I bought this from obtained it. He had the name and numbers sewn on. This was definitely going to be a team issued jersey, but never made it to the team. I took it in and had it shortened so it would fit me. I'm 5'8", 165 and it literally was long enough to cover my knees. Now I can tuck it in or not and it looks fine either way. Every jersey I own is one that I'll wear.

013.jpg

re above, I've got a B. Johnson jersey that looks exactly like yours. It's white, it's authentic, but it has an Adidas logo patch, which is odd (you'd think it would be embroidered). I believe mine is from 1999. Made in the USA.

I believe I bought this one at the Hall of Fame store in '00.

016.jpg

re above, that's a game jersey, right? If so, it proves that Wilson sponsored in 1997. Nice!

This jersey was issued to Larry Centers for photo shoots when he signed with the team. No game use is evident. One very nice thing about this jersey is that the shoulder panels are quilted. I had this jersey shortened as well, and all the tags relocated.

018.jpg

re above, that's a MacGregor Sand-Knit, right? That's an authentic, right? What year is that? Sweet jersey. Did the league sell non-authentic jerseys back then? I'm thinking no.

This jersey is an authentic Sandknit, with double layered shoulder panels and team specific tagging. I had a nameplate sewn on and the name added.

022.jpg

re above, is that an authentic? Could it be a knock off? Are the arrows on the sleeves patches which are sewn on? Is the fabric spandex all around or not?

I bought this from Redskins.com. Everything is sewn on. If only all authentic jerseys available to fans fit as good as these did. These are as close to being 'game cut' as anyone can get through retail.

024.jpg

re above, same questions as above.

I bought this from the NFL shop as soon as they were released and the 15% off sale happened. Frankly, I'm not very pleased with the stitiching on the nameplate or placing of the letters/numbers. I'll probably have it altered at some point with the proper stitching and better centering of the NOB.

026.jpg

Tell me about this jersey.

This is a Stall and Dean. They were made around the same time that the Mitchell and Ness craze began. The numbers are the best part about this jersey, because they're made out of some kind of flannel.

May I use some of your pics in Post #1 eventually?

Sure thing.

Thanks!

Ahhhh big posts!!!!

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures. If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

:silly:

Ahhhh big posts!!!!

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures. If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

:silly:

In this case, I don't think REDSKINS8181 abused the quote feature, as I had tons of questions about specific photos. I'm not sure if there is a better way to answer them.

Check these two photos:

Gamer:

redskins75thannidb1.jpg

Authentic:

024.jpg

The two jerseys look significantly different to me. Look at the placement of the reebok logo, for example. The gamer numbers on the shoulders look bigger. The stripes look broader on the gamer. The sleeve construction looks different - as the stripes go only half way around on the gamer vs. all the way around, etc.

Mark this may add to the confusion about Wilson, but I found a pic of Brett Conway wearing a "Wilson" jersey in either 1998 or 99, not sure when the pic was taken. Greg Jones behind him is wearing a 'Starter" jersey. I thought all players on the team used the same supplier. :doh:

Here is the link to the pic:

http://www.nbc10.com/sports/148274/detail.html

conway.jpg

Hmm. This needs to be researched. I have a pic of a Green gamer with a Starter logo and a 98 on the jock tag. So Starter was the sponser in 1998. Wilson was the sponser in 1997. I'm going to guess that Conway came to the team, and the team had a blank number 5 jersey from the previous year, and used that. That would explain it.

What's even more confusing is Adidas was the sponsor in both 1998 and 1999. I've got plenty of pic evidence supporting that. Are we sure that's Conway?

Yeah it's Conway. I also added the link to the pic.

EDIT: I completely forgot he played with the Skins again in 2000-2002 (he went to Jets, Raiders in 2000 then back to us) , but that still makes me wonder why he is wearing a Wilson jersey.

My post #90 was wrong. I edited it. Starter sponsered in '98. :)

Hmm. This needs to be researched. I have a pic of a Green gamer with a Starter logo and a 98 on the jock tag. So Starter was the sponser in 1998. Wilson was the sponser in 1997. I'm going to guess that Conway came to the team, and the team had a blank number 5 jersey from the previous year, and used that. That would explain it.

Ahh makes sense...or maybe it was a Shuler left over that had been in an old locker.:silly:

Thanks!

Re the authentic reeboks above? Is the arrow sewn on the sleeve like on the gamers (just wanna make sure)? Are they basically 100% spandex like the gamers, or not? What country are they made?

Yes, the arrows are patches sewn onto the sleeve, and the sleeve stripes are woven in. The shoulder panels, sleeves, etc are the spandex and the mesh has the same feel as a sandknit jersey.

In this case, I don't think REDSKINS8181 abused the quote feature, as I had tons of questions about specific photos. I'm not sure if there is a better way to answer them.

Check these two photos:

Gamer:

redskins75thannidb1.jpg

Authentic:

024.jpg

The two jerseys look significantly different to me. Look at the placement of the reebok logo, for example. The gamer numbers on the shoulders look bigger. The stripes look broader on the gamer. The sleeve construction looks different - as the stripes go only half way around on the gamer vs. all the way around, etc.

Just another example of the term 'authentic jersey' being abused by Reebok. Although I did purchase this from NFL Shop, the sleeve cuffs are very loose to the point of being useless. The numbers, lettering, striping, etc are more reddish than I thought they would be. Don't get me wrong, I still love this jersey and it's the best thing I could buy at the time. But if you or I designed this jersey, I have a feeling it would look much different.

Yes, the arrows are patches sewn onto the sleeve, and the sleeve stripes are woven in. The shoulder panels, sleeves, etc are the spandex and the mesh has the same feel as a sandknit jersey.

Okay. Are you sure the mesh doesn't have spandex in it? I am pretty sure the old sandknits did not. They only had spandex in the side panels. But the mesh on the reebok gamers are spandex. So final question - does the mesh on your reebok authentics have spandex thread or not?

Just another example of the term 'authentic jersey' being abused by Reebok. Although I did purchase this from NFL Shop, the sleeve cuffs are very loose to the point of being useless. The numbers, lettering, striping, etc are more reddish than I thought they would be. Don't get me wrong, I still love this jersey and it's the best thing I could buy at the time. But if you or I designed this jersey, I have a feeling it would look much different.

Yeah, I thought those colors looked too red, but I thought maybe it was just the camera and the light, whatever.

Okay. Are you sure the mesh doesn't have spandex in it? I am pretty sure the old sandknits did not. They only had spandex in the side panels. But the mesh on the reebok gamers are spandex. So final question - does the mesh on your reebok authentics have spandex thread or not?

I would have to say yes. They don't have the silky feel that the adidas for Wilson jerseys have. The ST label says 100% polyester, while the DG label says 10% spandex, 90% nylon.

Archived