Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm confused about the OC chosen for the Skins.

I was reading an article from the Washington Post I think about Sherman Smith transitioning to our Offensive Coordinator. I know he played with Zorn and has had some success developing running backs for the Titans. The thing that gets me is he doesn't know our offense. Zorn said he will be teaching the passing game to our new OC as well as the players. Zorn will be calling plays for us. Our running backs I feel don't need much developing. We're keeping the same ground attack and our offense already has it down. Smith already said he'll let position coaches teach technique to their respective position players. I'm just wondering exactly what his contribution to the team will be, or if there's something about Smith I don't know. Wouldn't it have been better to get a guy who knows the basic philiosophies of the WCO so he could help install the new system with our head coach? That's a lot of responsibility for a brand new HC with everything else he has to do. Any comments?

In short. No. If Zorn trusts and respects his football knowledge and already has existing chemistry then he is a perfect fit. He will help Stump in the running game while Zorn calls plays and get further knowledge/experince in the passing game as time goes on.

We have new elements in our coaching staff from the top on down to some key positions, mixed in with a good helping of hold-overs who have been here for awhile. The "new" guys have proven and admirable skill sets that are established and well-evaluated by pros. They are raw in their new positions, though seasoned in the game. I personally love this mix of freshness and experience, unknown and demonstrated, potential and risk.

We may finally be seeing what we hoped we would with Spurrier--a return to a true Redskins identity that's created and formed here, and is a winning identity, as opposed to taking on the persona of someone who created their NFL head coaching resume and team profile elsewhere.

This is a birth with strong genes including those contributed by Grandpa Gibbs. If Dan & Cerrato & FO provide the healthy environment and supporting personnel as we grow, we could have a long-term healthy offspring. Less is also very possible. That's scary but exciting. I personally am more enjoying this journey much better than one following the efforts of a Mooch or Fassel (with all due respect).

You certainly are in the know, Jumbo. I agree with ya 100%. The comparrison to the hopes we had when spurrier got here is interesting, and yes it is much more interesting watching Zorn than Fassel or Mooch.

For Smith, his job will be helping to put the playbook together, and then it will be a mutual job for Zorn and Smith to teach each other what they know. Smith will also be helping Zorn gameplan for the week, and will likely be up in the booth on gameday watching from above. Zorn can't see everything down on the field, and having a guy that he trusts like Smith to watch for those things is an important safety net to have.

Zorn will create his identity as a head coach here in Washington. He has already learned plenty from Mike Holmgren, and it will be great having Joe Bugel still around to help him out. I questioned this heavily at first- why we didn't bring back Gregg Williams was beyond me- but I'm starting to come around. I'm now excited to see what Zorn and Smith can bring to the table.

Sherman Smith is just Zorn's homie from back in the day when they played together and someone he can trust and use to do what he wants to do. I certainly hope they go with Zorn's ideas more than Smith's cause the Titans' offense was boring.

Archived