Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TE Robert Royal

Golgo-13

What do you guys think of this guy? Everyone keeps saying that if we get Coles, that TE will be our only glaring weakness on Offense (some would also argue RB). However, I saw some good potential in Royal during the preseason (I know that don't mean much...) last year. Is there a chance we may have a good TE on the roster and not even know it? I heard that he was slated to go in the first round after his junior season but fell off a little during his senior season, hence the drop in draft status. What do y'all think?

His junior year in college at LSU he was listed as one of the best tight ends in the country. He had all the skills, good hands, good blocking and great agility, he played basketball too at LSU for a season. He got hurt and didn't play well and so was ranked very high his senior year and so went low in the draft, if he is in shape he is a great itght end.

Thanks, funky. I sure hope that he does pan out. You need for a few picks like that to pan out in order to make it over the hump. You can't get all your playes through FA, even though Danny seems determined to prove that wrong. :laugh:

I don't think Royal was considered a burner out of LSU. In fact, I think his forty time was horrible, but attributed to an injury not yet healed.

In the preseason, I saw a kid with great hands and a good short area burst. Seemed to lumber a bit once he got going....but was difficult to bring down as well.

Flemister is the real mystery. His rookie year he impressed, but last year he looked below average. Now, maybe it might be explained because it was a new offense and he was thinking to much.... but he dropped a number of catchable balls and seemed confused.

I think the pairing of these two young guys is an advantage. Also, S2 commented positively about Leonard Stephens. He may be a kid that contributes as well. Seemed all he needed was some coaching and a chance.....and the staff was thrilled with his work ethic and willingness to learn.

But for roster space problems, royal would have played for us last year. His injury at the end of training camp would have put him out of action for 4-5 weeks as I recall, so the front office simply opted to take the space saving measure of putting him on IR for the year, thereby protecting him from other teams. But I heard nothing but good things about him.

Archived