Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Making Sense of It all......if any sense can be made

The Wicked Wop

Flummoxed........kinda the word I would used to sum up the current situation. Here are a few of my main thoughts on current events.

1) Williams Firing/coaching search - dissapointed to say the least. He earned a lot of respect in my mind this past season. The year before he was a ****y bigheaded coach who had 2 solid years of success in Washington, and presumed that it was him not the players. He learned early in often in 2006 you need the players. His schemes were used and abused all year long and he didn't have the players to make up for the short comings.

In 2007 he got back to basics, learned to adjust his defensive schemes and to the talent around him......this truely is the sign of a good coach. If Dan Snyder felt that he ultimately was not the right fit at the top, then kinda so be it, its his team and maybe something just rubbed him wrong about Williams. However it seems he went overboard with the 4 interviews, then you don't even have the nerve to call the guy back.

Then bring in a guy like Fassel who did have some success in the NFL (any coach that gets to the super bowl deserves some level of credit)....but was FIRED from his past 2 assignments.....and somehow this guy is then top of your board because he talked a good game in the interview.....who's status we don't know.

Now were in a position were we look like we have no clue. We have virtually full staff and no leader of that staff. Sure the leader could say I like the staff you assembled for me, but I prefer my guys. Kinda like running any other kinda business. Say your the new CEO and the board of directors just brought you in.....for a time you may be comfortable with senior managment that might have been in place before you got there.......however at some point you want your guys. Hey maybe the guys are your guys and it turns out fine......but if not then what do you do. Say the team/company sputters in certain areas where these people who aren't your guys oversee.....then who's fault is it.....the CEO (coach) or the board/previous management who brought these people in for you............guess we'll wait and see.

2) Snyder trying to convince Gibbs to stays - don't know that this was brought up in any other threads, but this truely irks me. I understand that he's your coach of coaches....I understand that he is the face of the team.....but nothing, nothing should take the place of trying to convince someone to stay when the word family even comes into the picture. The reports Dan & Gibbs were at it until 12 or 2 in the morning discussing it are fairly sad in my opinion. When you have a family member with Cancer, anybody....I mean anybody with a heart should shake your hand, say I understand your decision, and I wish you all the best. Having dealt with it personally it is one of the most trying circumstances anyone could be in.....let alone a child. It makes me sick to hear that Dan was convince/plead/whatever for Gibbs to stay....and the reports that he to some degree felt abandoned by Gibbs.....are just outragous in my mind.

3) Cerrato - Likely in the minority on Cerrato being promoted....but kinda glad it happend. If your going to have a man who is apparently in charge or personnel.....might as well make it officical. I will say this that lately I have been pleased with some of his work. Many people will go back to the early Snyder years and say look what they did, loosing draft picks, wasting picks on tired old players......fellas its in the past and maybe it was a learning experience......that will help the futures. My hope is that Vinny and Dan say look we tried that it did not work.

Fortunately the skins are in a pretty good position the next few years (given they don't screw it up). Yes cap hell, cap hell......look there are about 8 or so players that are causing there cap issues and they can either redo contract with some and/or release the others......they basically have options so I think its a non-issue. Also they should have nearly a full draft going forward and they made relatively good moves this past offseason especially getting younger. They also had low or undrafted talent that made contributions that should not be ignored (i.e., Heyer.....yes he had a bad game in Seattle, but he played great down the 4 game streak especially in the Giants game going against Strahan).

Lets let it play itself out....we may just be suprised.....and hopefully, I said hopefully we are committed to builing through the draft going forward.

Sure there are other points to be brought up, but these are a few of mine....and my fingers are tired.

HTTR

Good post. I don't necessarily agree with your view of Snyder trying to talk Gibbs into coming back. One thing I'll give Snyder credit for is sensitivity to family issues - his handling of Shawn/Ron Springs this past season, allowing Todd Collins to use Redskins One to attend his child's birth, other stories about flying family for emergencies, etc. The medical situation with Gibbs grandchild wasn't new, so he balanced that in the last year or two. I have no problem with Snyder engaging a long discussion with Joe to make sure the decision was the right one for him.

Archived