Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Hiring of Younger HC Mean Greater Personnel Role for Snyder and Cerrato?

bulldog

Little Danny Boy and Vinny the Coffee Boy want to have their cake and eat it too: they want a big-name experienced coach like Cowher, AND they want to have a majority of control over personnel matters.

What this will lead to is a series of big-name coaches who will come to Washington (for the big $$$) and only stay 2-3 years. Just like the steady parade of former Pro Bowlers who came to this team and failed to succeed.

I think Snyder and Cerrato have been plenty involved, I think Gibbs just was their to direct their energies or, if necessary, rein them in. The Lance Briggs situation last year convinced me of that.

It may be that GW was the driving force behind the pursuit of Briggs. Maybe GW was behind Rocky. And it was a "big splash" Snyder/Cerrato move. We don't know.

To me the Briggs deal was just terrible. Briggs is a talent. And it may be that I underrate him to an extent. But I'm not so sure GW wasn't leading the charge.

Just depends on your perspective. If you have already predetermined that Snyder's primary intent is to generate a buzz in efforts to make as much money as possible, with little to no concern other than to take money out of every ones wallet, and is the defacto GM. Then, a perceived bad deal in the the Briggs proposed trade, would in fact be "proof". Just as the Archuletta acquisiton is "proof" that GW is a poor personel guy for those who don't support him.

As I read the article about Schwartz doing well in his interview, the more I began to think that bringing in a younger HC may not be the best thing for the Redskins, given their current front office configuration.

If the Redskins had an established GM like they did in 1981 when Beathard hired Gibbs you could trust that the young HC would have 'protection' within the organization and a sponsor to work to get him started on the right track.

Here, if Schwartz is hired for 2008, what guarantees if any do we have that Snyder and Cerrato won't be exercising a role in free agency and the draft as significant as that during the Spurrier era? :)

That certainly wouldn't be in the best interests of the Redskins in the coming years.

Ironically, the 'big splash' move for a Cowher or another name coach would seem as if it would have the opposite effect, namely to limit the role of Vinny and Dan in the process to no more influence than they had with Joe.

Something to think about.

same exact thing ran though my mind

Greg Williams is old enough and wouldn't play FA games danny likes to.

I think since Cowher is out of the loop, Danny and Cerrato wants someone they could grow with. Someone that's around the same age group as them but super smart(Gibbs)when it comes to football knowledge and talent evaluator. Schwartz is the perfect pick in the eye's of Danny and Cerrato and not to mention the credentials he has educational wise. But of course this could all be a smoke screen. But after reading this guys resume, links to the D.C area, age group, guys he's worked under and Gibbs love for super smart personnell and he's helping in the process. Schwartz IMO is the perfect fit under these conditions.

Let's not forget that he also runs the similar defense of schemes as Williams. So, on the defense side of the ball, it won't be a total learning curve for the players. Also, contrary to belief in todays NFL, defense's still has a major impact on winning Championships. Especially in the eye of the Legend that Danny's still listening to (Gibbs).

Also, in Danny's opinion, he's learned after years of failing. And one thing I think he did pick up along the way is the importance of stability. Now! eventhough GW would be perfect when it comes to stabilty because he's been around Redskin Park for awhile. What about long term? If Danny already wants to start from scratch in search for his future coach, then GW would be eliminated. Even I and alot of you here at ES questioned some of the moves and game planning on defense GW has made during seasons and games. And to be frank, I'm not totally sold and evidently Danny must feel the same way.

The Redskins Future and the guidance under Danny for the long term starts now and hiring a coach to stabilize us for years is very important not the quick fix. We have on defense some players that's getting long in the tooth, expecially on the DL. And this is an area I think Schwartz can build on like he did with the Titans. Also, not to mention Springs on the down spiral and the team probably needing another CB. Other then that, we have the cornerstones to build on when it comes to defense. It's all about finding the right coach that's all about defense and recognizing younger talent to grow with and add to what we already have. And like I said before, GW is more of a veteran guy IMO opposed to Schwartz who's more a younger talent evaluator.

Anyhow, anything could happen. But if your looking for a short term fix and GW possibly getting fired quickly after giving the opportunity to exceed Gibbs then he's the coach. But if your looking to rebuild the franchise for the long term to stay competitive with our future QB already in place, then Schwartz's the answer. Because it's about starting fresh with the younger core guys we have and to build from that for the future. Not going backwards or staying stagnant with GW's, because we already saw what he brings to the table and so has Danny.

Archived