Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kinda thought this was the way it would go down......and thoughts on the future

The Wicked Wop

To be honest in really felt like this was going to be the end of the road of the team. I know its my the right attitude as a fan, but this team just really left everything on the field 4 weeks in a row, then has to travel cross country on a short week in one of the loudest stadiums in the league.....just had the makings of it.

Having said that I'm very happy with the way the fought down the stretch and really stuck together. I think all of us should be much more optimistic going into this offseason than last. Also which I think is the more important aspect, is that the Redskins are relevant again in the NFL. We all are I'm sure tired of hearing about "this once storied franchise", but the playoffs 2 out of the past 3 years is not that bad....and definitely a great platform for the future.

I also see quit a few negative threads and who's fault it was etc........PEOPLE just stop. It you'd have said at the beginning of the year we would loose 6 starting players during the course of the season and still make it to the playoffs......everyone would be happy. Admit it this team overachieved in a lot of ways especially on the O-line in the past few weeks and were finally pushed to the limit.

As far as the offseason and next year here are a few of my passing thoughts

*Campbell has to be our guy. I read a number of posts that brought up the fact that Collins had similar protection problems as Campbell and his game suffered which was clearly evident. Yes Collins know this system like a coach does but I really think the past few weeks of watching Collins really run this system to perfection (not in Seattle of course) is going to make Campbell that much better next year. Also just heard a ton of people moaning about the mistakes Campbell made......look the Redskins brought this upon themselves by not starting him earlier, and thus a lot of the mistakes he made this season might have been learned last.

Portis - Got to keep this guy. Don't care what anyone says this guy is a stud, hard nose, great blocker, great team mate. I know people been raging on him about this and that.....but if you don't have an O-line that can create some space nobody....I mean nobody is going to be able to run.

*O-Line - this really needs to be the main thing we address either in the draft or in free agency. I think its time to turn the page with Jansen, to big of a cap number (though I don't know the figure) and the guy is consistently been out of the lineup the past few years. Great player when healthy but I don't believe he can stay healthy.

*WR - Really need a #2 big possession/with some speed receiver to compliment Moss and Randle El. Randle El is a true number #3/slot receiver that had 50 catches and 700 yards but really need that from him in a #3 spot not number #2.

*D-line - Kinda torn hear because I think they did a great job of getting younger on the d-line this offseason.....but they really need another rush end to compliment Carter

*DB's - Some concern with Springs regarding age/salary cap. For as much ragging as people were doing about him yesterday, the man was a big reason why we were in the post season and people need to respect him for that. If they can get him to restructure and with the return of Rodger next year I think the DB's will be in fine shape. Also just got to give Reed a lot of credit. Guy just played smart/within himself/and made plays at the same time.....definite keeper. I'd say probably average from a run stopper and above average in coverage for a SS.

Honestly aside from these areas I think were pretty solid.....plus with virtually all of our draft picks (only think were missing a 3rd) we should be able to continue the youth movement on this team

HTTR!!!

Always enjoy your posts WickedWop and you're right on with your observations. The key to this teams resurgence is and has been for the past 4 years the offense.

There's no doubt in my mind that Gregg Williams will continue to field a productive unit and that we're a dependable offense away from being a contender.

On offense, everything starts up front. We have to find a new RT that can step in and own the position, find somebody to eventually take over the LG spot from Kendall and just generally infuse some youth along the entire offensive line.

Randle El has proven to me that he can be the playmaker opposite of Moss that we've been looking for, and what we need to find now is a dependable target that can compliment Moss and Randle El's skill set.

As much as I hate him, Keyshawn could be that endzone target we need and the guy that would most fit our needs. There are rumblings that he wants to come back and I think he's one guy we should target.

On defense Doughty has made a believer out of me and I am no longer in the camp of those members that say that we absolutely need to upgrade the SS safety position.

At corner we absolutely need Springs back. He's the ideal fit for this defense and easily our best corner.

The front office has some tough decisions to make in respect to our salary cap and how we emerge from the initial round of restructuring is going to be the difference between us being a contender for the NFC East title.

Archived