Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cap room, our off-season, and partial draft stuff (SS and brunell mention)

rm8899

considering our 20 million surplus going into the off-season (this is of course excluding the magic DS and the FO can do to manipulate money) i just don't see how we can do much of anything with free agency, especially after paying da rooks. we would have to restructure more than a few of our players contracts, especially Springs and Brunell.

- Since Brunell is inept and scared to **** on the field i say we cut him expecially with TC knowing the playbook inside and out.

- Shawn Springs is a different story though. he still is a very capable CB but definitely couldn't take/deliver the blows a true FS condemns, IMO. he too is a huge cap hit and although most people on this board i see have a man-crush on him, i still feel he is injured plagued and is not worth the 7+ Mil. he is due.

*Brunell and SS are of course not the only problems, just what i see as very critical.

question #1:

if (hypothetically) we cut SS and Brunell what would be the hit on our cap? would we get some of that money back?

question #2:

do you think we still need two aging players who cannot fully support our team?

i personally feel we should straight up cut brunell and try to work a trade and/or cut SS because it's obvious he's not going to re-negotiate. but once again how would it affect our cap this year??

This year we need to actually utilize the draft to work on a younger team that can learn to prosper from our extremely talented and diligent veterans such as Jansen/Samuels, Washington/Fletcher, Moss/Randle El. I'm excited b/c i feel we can actually work a draft rather than overspend on FA's. But everyone here knows our FO. :doh: :doh: :doh:

thoughts? bashings? ideas? bring it, that's why we're here.

:helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

cutting Brunell will cost us more than keeping him

Collins is a FA this offseason, he'll command alot of money if he plays well

cutting SS is gonna cost ALOT more than his cap hit

so no, Collins likely wont come back, Brunell will stay but will have to take a paycut and SS, we have to pray, will renegotiate.

cutting Brunell will cost us more than keeping him

Collins is a FA this offseason, he'll command alot of money if he plays well

cutting SS is gonna cost ALOT more than his cap hit

This is incorrect. See the following site for details.

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm?vbseourl=redirect/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

We save about 3 million off the cap for cutting springs and 3.5 milion if we cut Brunell.

The point is that both springs and brunell have been around for a while. So, most of the signing bonus has been amortized off. Accordingly, you cna save money by cutting them.

This is incorrect. See the following site for details.

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm?vbseourl=redirect/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

We save about 3 million off the cap for cutting springs and 3.5 milion if we cut Brunell.

The point is that both springs and brunell have been around for a while. So, most of the signing bonus has been amortized off. Accordingly, you cna save money by cutting them.

OH touche

http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Cut_Trade_Savings.htm

I was looking there and for some reason thought that the positive numbers meant cap hit for a moment, by bad

Brunell is making a low coaching salary. That's fair. Springs has shown he is unwilling to renegotiate - which makes sense becasue he is injury prone and knows he could lose money if he gets hurt (which is nearly a lock). Brunell will stay as long as Gibbs is here. Springs on the other hand costs too much to cut, won't renegotiate, and we can't get a value trade for him. More than likely he'll go for a late second day pick or be part of a bundle deal for someone else. A team that needs a quick patch will work something out for him. He is playing great right now which is unfortunate. I agree with a lot of folks in that we need another #1 corner. Rogers is improving however can't handle a number one receiver yet. I love what DeAngelo Hall brings. It would be too much to dream that we got him in Burgandy & Gold.

"I love what DeAngelo Hall brings. It would be too much to dream that we got him in Burgandy & Gold."

I have heard the DeAngelo rumor of him joining the team in the off-season. Where did this rumor come from? I understand he played at VT but is there any other reason for him wanting to joing the club? Guess he is just trying to get paid. I would not mind having him on the team but I wish he would lose that ego of his...

I just hope either Brunell retires or Joe Gibbs gets over his mancrush and releases him. That guy is making WAY TOO MUCH money to be a #3. He is making too much for a #2 even.

If Springs doesn't restructure, then they should let him go. He is not the same player he was in '04-'06. Thanks to his 2 INTs against the Bears, people think he is better than he really is.

I just hope either Brunell retires or Joe Gibbs gets over his mancrush and releases him. That guy is making WAY TOO MUCH money to be a #3. He is making too much for a #2 even.

If Springs doesn't restructure, then they should let him go. He is not the same player he was in '04-'06. Thanks to his 2 INTs against the Bears, people think he is better than he really is.

I think if he retires, it's like us cutting him since his signing bonus would be accelerated

Look guys we go through this **** every year with the cap almost capped off right! But we still manage to get high priced players. Good example was b.lloyd, randel el, fletcher, landry , carter, we signed betts to a nice new deal aswell as cooley this year! Trust me don't worry about the cap all that **** will get taken care of to get the players gibbs wants. Trust me if gibbs tells snyder we need this guy or even greg then you can better believe were picking them up or someone close to that! So enough about are cap talk the skins are always close to the cap but still mange to get the big names for big bucks. The way you do it is sign them to a long term contract with insentives to take less money off the cap for that year! So we could afford players like Hall, Allen or even Fitzgerald who will be leaving az this year if they wanted too!

Archived