Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Redskins players, staff in shock after Taylor shooting

bubba9497

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/2007-11-26-taylor-focus_N.htm?csp=34

click link for full article

Redskins players, staff in shock after Taylor shooting

ASHBURN, Va. — Cupping their hands around candles in an attempt to keep them lit against the wind, Washington Redskins fans stood vigil for Sean Taylor on Monday night at the team's training complex. Meanwhile, teammates and coaches offered their own prayers for a player that they said had matured beyond the early troubles of his NFL career.

On a day that had been earmarked for rehashing a tough defeat on the road vs. Tampa Bay, the Redskins were slammed by the news Monday morning that Taylor, a hard-hitting, fourth-year safety who made the Pro Bowl last season, had been shot and critically wounded at his home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay. Attorney Richard Sharpstein said he had been told that Taylor's femoral (leg) artery was damaged by a bullet. Police were investigating it as a possible robbery.

Coach Joe Gibbs, who said he was called at home by team security at about 6:30 a.m., joined the rest of the team in expressing numbness — and support.

"We're obviously in shock. I know I can't put it in words," said Gibbs. " We're just praying for the absolute best for Sean and his family."

The day before, the Redskins had lost 19-13 to the Buccaneers. Taylor hadn't traveled with the team due to an injured knee that sidelined him for the second consecutive game.

"It really is hard. You know, I can't even deal with it," running back Clinton Portis said at the complex before joining team owner Daniel Snyder on a flight to Miami.

Portis, like Taylor, is a former University of Miami player.

"The only thing you can do is think … if he was on that flight with us, or if he was at that game with us, then he wouldn't have been in that situation," said Portis.

Gibbs held a team meeting at noon. The team chaplain led the players and coaches in prayer.

"You never think about entering a team meeting … addressing an issue that is way bigger than the game of football," said safety Pierson Prioleau. "It's not just a member of the Washington Redskins. We're talking about a dad, a brother, a friend of ours."

Gaining maturity

Taylor had multiple on-and-off-the-field issues earlier in his career, but the Redskins said he had undergone a transformation. Offensive tackle Chris Samuels said he had personally praised Taylor for his maturation.

"I said, 'Man, I'm proud of you, man. You're doing a great job," said Samuels. "And he was like, 'Thanks, man. I'm just focused on my job and staying out of trouble and doing all the right things.' "

As the NFL's No. 5 overall draft pick in 2004, Taylor was fined by the league for missing its rookie symposium, a gathering aimed at acclimating newcomers to the opportunities — and pitfalls — of pro ball. He's drawn multiple other NFL fines for infractions ranging from unnecessary roughness to spitting on an opponent during a January, 2006 playoff game.

In 2005, he faced felony charges in Florida for allegedly brandishing a gun during a fight over the alleged theft of some all-terrain vehicles he owned. In a deal with prosecutors, he pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors (simple battery and simple assault) and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

Taylor has rarely spoken to the media. His teammates characterize him as misunderstood.

"He's one of the best teammates you could have. The media don't know a lot about him because they lost his trust. But at the same time, any of his teammates will go and speak out for him," said Portis.

Prioleau noted the change in Taylor during his time in Washington.

"When I came here in '05, he had just had his things going on, but from '05 until now I've been able to see him (make) leaps and bounds of growth," he said.

Added Portis, "The man changed his life. The man changed his mentality and his attitude."

Gibbs said that the birth of Taylor's daughter, Jackie, in 2006 had a profound effect on him. "I knew how much his baby meant to him. He'd come to the complex with her … carrying that baby," said Gibbs. "I could kind of see in him a maturing process.'

Portis and Snyder flew to Miami in the team owner's jet, along with vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato and head athletic trainer Bubba Tyer. "Our hearts and prayers go out to Sean and his family," said Snyder.

Redskins players have a day off today. Losers of three in a row but still in the playoff chase at 5-6, they'll resume practice Wednesday for a home game Sunday against the Buffalo Bills.

On the opening weekend of the season, Buffalo Bills tight end Kevin Everett was temporarily paralyzed by a spinal injury.

Amid their grave concerns, the Bills had to prepare for their next game. How will Gibbs handle the situation?

"I don't know. I can't answer that. I've never been through this," he said. "We'll just have to get back on Wednesday and see how we all deal with it."

Show of support

Several dozen Redskins fans gathered to pray and show support Monday night in a grass parking lot near the team complex.

"I felt it would be the right thing to do because he's in such critical conditions that you don't really know what could happen," said Brian Rich, 22, of Ashburn, sporting a No. 21 Taylor jersey.

Christie Lopez, 32, of Ashburn, also wore a Taylor jersey. "We're Redskins family," she said.

Redskins linebacker London Fletcher called it a "sad, sad" situation. "Come Wednesday, we're going to prepare for Buffalo as best we can. We still have a job to do," said Fletcher. "But … Sean's situation is much bigger than what we're dealing with in terms of football games."

Gregg Williams, the Redskins assistant head coach defense, choked up as he discussed Taylor.

"I have not had much sleep, and I don't intend on getting much sleep tonight until we get more news," said Williams. "… whether he plays again? I don't know. If he does, great. If he doesn't, great. I just want him to recover. I just want him to be all right."

vigil-topper.jpg

Archived