Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

eery similarities between this year and 2005

monte55coleman

So in 2005, we were also 4-3 and had been destroyed by the Giants (36-0) after dominating a NFC west opponent. Our run defense was atriocious in the Giants game, and our offense was also putrid. We had some key injuries in that game and there were a lot of questions about where Gibbs was taking us. We followd up a demoralizing loss by beating the Eagles at home and followed that up with an exciting game in Tampa where we were robbed. After that you remember what happened.

Flash forward to 2007, and we are 4-3 again. Once again, we got destroyed by the Patriots after beating a NFC west opponent. Once again, There are a lot of questions about us on both sides of the ball.

Just a reminder that not all hope is gone, considering how bad the NFC was in 2005, and how bad it remains in 2007. IN 2005,we were a few plays from playing Carolina in the NFC championship game.

What's sad is though that we've had two humiliating defeats under Gibbs 2.0. I know there are have been some complaints about Greg Williams, but even with injuries, or whatever other mitigating factor, the Defense the last four years has generally played hard and has made a few plays here or there even on bad days. Even last year, when we had terrible defensive personnel, and were playing with injured players, and players off the street, we were able to come out of nowhere and shut down the high powered Saints before they ultimately got to the NFC championship game. I guess its disappointing that Gibbs hasn't been able to do the same. We've been consistently inconsistent, and the offense's inconsistency has often made the defense appear worse than it actually is ( 2nd half Giants game this year)

I'm looking forward to a new offensive regime in the future that seems prepared for today's NFL. Say what you want about Gregg Williams and his arrogance or his stubborness, but atleast you know that 75-80% of the time our defensive players will be prepared and will put up a fight. I really wish I could say that about our offense.

I already think modern NFL rules are slanted against Defenses, so I think if Defenses can hold teams to field goals, get sacks here and there, and maybe an interception, that they are ahead of the curve. It's sad that given our offensive personnel, we don't schme to exploit those rules like other teams do.

So in 2005, we were also 4-3 and had been destroyed by the Giants (36-0) after dominating a NFC west opponent. Our run defense was atriocious in the Giants game, and our offense was also putrid. We had some key injuries in that game and there were a lot of questions about where Gibbs was taking us. We followd up a demoralizing loss by beating the Eagles at home and followed that up with an exciting game in Tampa where we were robbed. After that you remember what happened.

Flash forward to 2007, and we are 4-3 again. Once again, we got destroyed by the Patriots after beating a NFC west opponent. Once again, There are a lot of questions about us on both sides of the ball.

Just a reminder that not all hope is gone, considering how bad the NFC was in 2005, and how bad it remains in 2007. IN 2005,we were a few plays from playing Carolina in the NFC championship game.

What's sad is though that we've had two humiliating defeats under Gibbs 2.0. I know there are have been some complaints about Greg Williams, but even with injuries, or whatever other mitigating factor, the Defense the last four years has generally played hard and has made a few plays here or there even on bad days. Even last year, when we had terrible defensive personnel, and were playing with injured players, and players off the street, we were able to come out of nowhere and shut down the high powered Saints before they ultimately got to the NFC championship game. I guess its disappointing that Gibbs hasn't been able to do the same. We've been consistently inconsistent, and the offense's inconsistency has often made the defense appear worse than it actually is ( 2nd half Giants game this year)

I'm looking forward to a new offensive regime in the future that seems prepared for today's NFL. Say what you want about Gregg Williams and his arrogance or his stubborness, but atleast you know that 75-80% of the time our defensive players will be prepared and will put up a fight. I really wish I could say that about our offense.

I already think modern NFL rules are slanted against Defenses, so I think if Defenses can hold teams to field goals, get sacks here and there, and maybe an interception, that they are ahead of the curve. It's sad that given our offensive personnel, we don't schme to exploit those rules like other teams do.

Archived