Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are there any good jobs in Richmond, VA?

Novus

Just moved here 2 months ago and I'm still struggling to find a great career (I'm a college graduate, btw). I've been looking into more sports related areas, i.e. marketing, sales, etc. But right now I think I might take pretty much anything that actually has a real salary and benefits. I'm tired of the rip/off door-to-door (was just offered a job spending a year going door-to-door selling coupons!!!) or cold calling ads. Are there any good LEGITIMATE jobs left?

Just moved here 2 months ago and I'm still struggling to find a great career (I'm a college graduate, btw). I've been looking into more sports related areas, i.e. marketing, sales, etc. But right now I think I might take pretty much anything that actually has a real salary and benefits. I'm tired of the rip/off door-to-door (was just offered a job spending a year going door-to-door selling coupons!!!) or cold calling ads. Are there any good LEGITIMATE jobs left?

Was there a point to posting that?

Nope. I have to point out though that I fail to see the point of your thread. Obviously there are some good, legitimate jobs you could get in Richmond, and equally as obvious is that this forum and the way you posed that question is not the best way to go about looking for them. But I suppose its a shot in the dark that might turn out well...

I was really just making a harmless, thoughtless joke though. :)

:cheers:

Was there a point to posting that?

Nope. I have to point out though that I fail to see the point of your thread. Obviously there are some good, legitimate jobs you could get in Richmond, and equally as obvious is that this forum and the way you posed that question is not the best way to go about looking for them. But I suppose its a shot in the dark that might turn out well...

I was really just making a harmless, thoughtless joke though. :)

:cheers:

The only reason I can imagine anyone would move to Richmond without a job is to follow a women who lives in Richmond and has a job.

When I think Sports Marketing, I don't think of Richmond. Besides University of Richmond and VCU athletics, what sports are there to market?

You have the Braves AAA affiliate but what else.

Does Triple XXX have a station in Richmond? If so, go there and look for a job.

The only reason I can imagine anyone would move to Richmond without a job is to follow a women who lives in Richmond and has a job.

When I think Sports Marketing, I don't think of Richmond. Besides University of Richmond and VCU athletics, what sports are there to market?

You have the Braves AAA affiliate but what else.

Does Triple XXX have a station in Richmond? If so, go there and look for a job.

I’ve done sales, but I’ve worked in the IT field for the last 12 years. In IT a lot of the good jobs are in NOVA not Richmond. Problem is I don’t want to live in NOVA and commuting is not a viable option, so I live with my IT job here. It used to be better when a few large companies based here actually HAD an IT staff before they went to an all contractor.

Triple X does have a station in Richmond. They advertise for people to sell radio ads all of the time. It's probably not the job you're look for though as I would guess it would involve a lot of cold calling and or business to business stuff.

You could sell cars and make a very good living. There is always a need for good salesmen. You don’t get good in sales by just having a degree, though it will open some doors. It takes experience. I can tell you what not to sell, motorcycles. I did it for years and was very good at it, still almost starved to death.

As others have said Richmond is not a huge market but that’s not to say that there aren’t opportunities. There just aren’t as many as in a larger market. Have you talked with any placement agencies? I would suggest pharmaceutical sales but most of the time they are looking for a track record of outside sales. Good money if you can get on. How about route sales? Contact Pepsi and Coke. Good luck.

I’ve done sales, but I’ve worked in the IT field for the last 12 years. In IT a lot of the good jobs are in NOVA not Richmond. Problem is I don’t want to live in NOVA and commuting is not a viable option, so I live with my IT job here. It used to be better when a few large companies based here actually HAD an IT staff before they went to an all contractor.

Triple X does have a station in Richmond. They advertise for people to sell radio ads all of the time. It's probably not the job you're look for though as I would guess it would involve a lot of cold calling and or business to business stuff.

You could sell cars and make a very good living. There is always a need for good salesmen. You don’t get good in sales by just having a degree, though it will open some doors. It takes experience. I can tell you what not to sell, motorcycles. I did it for years and was very good at it, still almost starved to death.

As others have said Richmond is not a huge market but that’s not to say that there aren’t opportunities. There just aren’t as many as in a larger market. Have you talked with any placement agencies? I would suggest pharmaceutical sales but most of the time they are looking for a track record of outside sales. Good money if you can get on. How about route sales? Contact Pepsi and Coke. Good luck.

I have to point out though that I fail to see the point of your thread.

I thought the title of the thread was fairly obvious?

the way you posed that question is not the best way to go about looking for them.

I'm not asking anyone on here to give me a job because I posted in a Redskins forum. It was basically venting. I spent an entire day with a "marketing company" here in Richmond, only to find out it was a pyramid scheme. This was out of frustration.

I have to point out though that I fail to see the point of your thread.

I thought the title of the thread was fairly obvious?

the way you posed that question is not the best way to go about looking for them.

I'm not asking anyone on here to give me a job because I posted in a Redskins forum. It was basically venting. I spent an entire day with a "marketing company" here in Richmond, only to find out it was a pyramid scheme. This was out of frustration.

I have a JOB. I want a good career. I moved here to get the hell out of the city I went to college in and to be closer to my friends and family. I didn't move to Richmond on a whim.

I have a JOB. I want a good career. I moved here to get the hell out of the city I went to college in and to be closer to my friends and family. I didn't move to Richmond on a whim.

Braves, Renegades (hockey team), Kickers (soccer), VCU, and UR I believe are the main athletics. It doesn't necessarily mean marketing in the sporting world should be directly related to a city's team or teams. That's just something that I would *want* to do, but not what I'm strictly limiting myself to.

Braves, Renegades (hockey team), Kickers (soccer), VCU, and UR I believe are the main athletics. It doesn't necessarily mean marketing in the sporting world should be directly related to a city's team or teams. That's just something that I would *want* to do, but not what I'm strictly limiting myself to.

I don't know why anyone would move to Richmond unless they already had a great job opportunity waiting.

Some of us don't like sitting in two hours of traffic every day. Besides, a small city like Richmond has a lower cost of living, great schools in the surrounding counties and is just a really great place to raise a family. It also has geniune friendly people, unlike Nothern Virigina which has its fair share of fake people and a-holes (not that you fall in that category).

I don't know why anyone would move to Richmond unless they already had a great job opportunity waiting.

Some of us don't like sitting in two hours of traffic every day. Besides, a small city like Richmond has a lower cost of living, great schools in the surrounding counties and is just a really great place to raise a family. It also has geniune friendly people, unlike Nothern Virigina which has its fair share of fake people and a-holes (not that you fall in that category).

Wow, there have been some lame-ass responses in this thread. You'd think that if someone didn't have anything helpful to say, they wouldn't say anything at all.

I'm an IT consultant in Richmond and believe me, I understand your frustration. It is a tight market out there, especially in the IT world. Just keep plugging away and you'll find something. Sometimes it takes accepting a job that maybe pays less now, but may pay a lot more down the road. Maybe look at some of the smaller companies in the area. I'm sure you already know this, but stay away from those jobs that are "too good to be true". Anyone that wants your money to show you how to get rich is a scam. You shouldn't have to pay someone to give you a job.

Good luck.

Wow, there have been some lame-ass responses in this thread. You'd think that if someone didn't have anything helpful to say, they wouldn't say anything at all.

I'm an IT consultant in Richmond and believe me, I understand your frustration. It is a tight market out there, especially in the IT world. Just keep plugging away and you'll find something. Sometimes it takes accepting a job that maybe pays less now, but may pay a lot more down the road. Maybe look at some of the smaller companies in the area. I'm sure you already know this, but stay away from those jobs that are "too good to be true". Anyone that wants your money to show you how to get rich is a scam. You shouldn't have to pay someone to give you a job.

Good luck.

Marketing is tough right now, especially if you studied it but have no sales experience like me. Thats why I'm in IT right now--it just so happened I knew computers my whole life. Without it I would probably be still sitting at home without a job since I moved back from college in January.

I'm currently looking for a new job myself, something that utilizes my marketing education and IT experience. Haven't looked at Richmond, but I have been fairly successful in finding jobs in Northern VA and DC. Sales isn't all that bad though. My friend had a job with Toshiba right out of college and sold copy machines for them for about a year, now with that experience he just got a sales job with a pharmaceutical company in Annapolis. Company car, expense account, big paychecks and bonuses. Sometimes you just gotta have a little more experience to get where you want to be.

Whatever you do now, you need to get your experience up in something worthwhile. No one wants a guy whose only skill is creating fancy PowerPoint presentations ;)

The good thing I've found about a Marketing degree (not sure if that is what you have) is that it really is great for getting your foot in the door with a number of jobs. In Marketing classes, they teach you to be creative, have a business mind, be able to communicate and to sell, sell, sell! It's a good skill set to have. Just because you're in marketing doesn't mean that is what your job needs to be. This morning, I just got offered (and turned down) a financial analyst job in the heart of DC. :whoknows:

Broaden your job search, you'll find something.

Archived