Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blog: Did We Get Gibbs II Backwards?

rtandler

When he came back in 2004 with what amounted to total control of football operations, the conventional wisdom was that this was good and bad. It was good because Gibbs was without peer when it came to matters of preparation, game planning, and in-game strategy. The down side was that his ability as an evaluator of personnel was not thought to be nearly as strong as his ability to prepare players for a trip to Dallas. Redskins loyalists fervently hoped that Gibbs the coach would be able to overcome the missteps of Gibbs the personnel guy.

Three years and six games into Gibbs’ return it looks like the conventional wisdom had it exactly backwards.

Read the rest at blog.RedskinsGames.com

I don't know about that. The 2004 team had a top 5 defense and Clinton Portis and yet the mistake in hitching the wagon to an injured and over the hill Brunell likely cost the team a playoff berth that first season.

If the Redskins had gone after another quarterback by trade or free agency, someone a bit younger and more durable the last 3 years might have yielded a more consistent record of performance.

that very first move might have been the one that held the team back the most.

I don't know about that. The 2004 team had a top 5 defense and Clinton Portis and yet the mistake in hitching the wagon to an injured and over the hill Brunell likely cost the team a playoff berth that first season.

If the Redskins had gone after another quarterback by trade or free agency, someone a bit younger and more durable the last 3 years might have yielded a more consistent record of performance.

that very first move might have been the one that held the team back the most.

his offense was outdated

it wouldnt have mattered what QB we had

and our O-line was meh

at the time

derrick dockery was just a big body,not a liability but not a true asset either

Corey Raymer was a joke at center

and ray brown was meh

Thanks for posting a link, Mr. Tandler sir. I always enjoy your perspective.

I've heard from the folks at the Washington Post and even today on the John Riggins Show that this current team, because of how the Redskins choose to do business, has no depth and that the talent isn't there. But when I look out - especially at the defense, I couldn't disagree more. I'm glad someone else is noticing the collection of young and talented players that CEO Joe has brought to town. Take care.

Archived