Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tyke Eskimos (2007 season updated results)

Die Hard

Another note with mentioning.

Last season, with a once-in-a-lifetime QB, a good WR and 3 great RBs.... we set a team record with 171 points scored. And also set a team record for the highest offensive point total in a single game in team history with 33. And, we had 6 kids get in the endzone - another team record.

This season.... after 6 games... the offense has scored 152 points (19 short of the team record with 2 games to play -- the offense will more than likely shatter that record facing the 2d-ranked defense in the Riders and the 2nd-to-last defense averaging 30 points/game against in the next 2 weeks. And so far, we've already had 6 kids get in the endzone -- I'm hopeful I can get another 2 more kids in the endzone in the next few games.

The defense, in all likelihood, will probably surrender maybe 12-15 points more than last season -- which is phenomenal.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tyke Eskimos' regular season came to its conclusion yesterday. It's been a long and very fulfilling season.

2 weeks ago.... we played the 2nd-place Roughriders whom we lost to in the 2nd game of our season 30-0 (although we rushed for 282 yards but we fumbled 4 times inside their 20). We played them very tough.... but ended up on the losing end 30-15. We went into half-time tied @ 15. We had a couple of miscues on offense (ie. fumbles, bad blocks by runningbacks) that basically did in a couple of our drives.... and our defense just wasn't able to stop their offense on any drives (although we brought them to 4th down-and-long twice but couldn't close the deal). I didn't really prepare the kids (on offense) for what they were about to see from the defense (10-2, all blitzing) because I wanted to see how they'd handle that defense the 2nd time around (against the 1st place team when we lost 30-0).... and additionally, if we fared well.... then I would have been surprised. The other part of me thought... (1) I'll coach them up for the playoffs (since we'd be playing any of the same 2 teams again and I know they're going to run the same defense) and (2) if they have defensive success against us, then I know how to prepare my team against the defense because they'll run the same thing in the playoffs. If we beat their defense... there's no telling what defensive scheme they would run in the playoffs if they changed and I might not be able to prepare my kids accordingly. As it turns out, we play the Roughriders next week in the 1st round :) And I have all the video I need to prepare now.

Yesterday, the Tyke Eskimos concluded their 2007 regular season by defeating the (1-7) Bombers 40-0. We returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown -- the first time that's happened in my 3 years of coaching (we haven't scored a TD on special teams nor have we had one against... even when we were awful in 2005). The defense was stout.... gave up some yards but in the end played very solid. The offense only ran 15 plays all game and 5 went for TD's -- the offense rolled up 350+ yards again. Most importantly, after a week of emphasizing "blocking" by the runningbacks in practice.... they were DESTROYING the opposition all game -- we're talking in any given play.... 3 "WOW" pancake blocks. And that's what I'm most proud of. However, I'd like to see more of that in the playoffs.... when we're playing more formidable competition. Because we'll need it if we are to have any chance.

Anyways, the team finished 5-3, good for 3rd place this season. The offense set a new offensive team record with 207 total points (+36 from last season). And despite a relatively young and inexperienced defense - far inferior from last season - the team only gave up 8 more points than all of last season and we still recorded 2 shutouts (just like last season).

Overall, a GREAT, great season. I lost a lot of my qualified assistants going into this year.... and basically this season was my "coming out party" as a coach. My assistant head coach... who has been with me all 3 years (and moving on himself after this season)... has been the defensive coordinator for the last 2 years and been a great help and sounding board. And I have a high school student who has assisted me in coaching the offensive line the past 2 years. Together, we're by far the youngest coaching staff in the league, the least experienced, and the smallest.

I said we had to have our best year "coaching"... and I think we did just that. And I've VERY proud of what we accomplished this year. The kids were great, everyone developed, the parents gave us no problems... and we had a great season. This was my best and favorite season, bar none.

Thanks for everyone's support... you've done a good thing. I'll be provided playoff updates as well.

The Tyke Eskimos' regular season came to its conclusion yesterday. It's been a long and very fulfilling season.

2 weeks ago.... we played the 2nd-place Roughriders whom we lost to in the 2nd game of our season 30-0 (although we rushed for 282 yards but we fumbled 4 times inside their 20). We played them very tough.... but ended up on the losing end 30-15. We went into half-time tied @ 15. We had a couple of miscues on offense (ie. fumbles, bad blocks by runningbacks) that basically did in a couple of our drives.... and our defense just wasn't able to stop their offense on any drives (although we brought them to 4th down-and-long twice but couldn't close the deal). I didn't really prepare the kids (on offense) for what they were about to see from the defense (10-2, all blitzing) because I wanted to see how they'd handle that defense the 2nd time around (against the 1st place team when we lost 30-0).... and additionally, if we fared well.... then I would have been surprised. The other part of me thought... (1) I'll coach them up for the playoffs (since we'd be playing any of the same 2 teams again and I know they're going to run the same defense) and (2) if they have defensive success against us, then I know how to prepare my team against the defense because they'll run the same thing in the playoffs. If we beat their defense... there's no telling what defensive scheme they would run in the playoffs if they changed and I might not be able to prepare my kids accordingly. As it turns out, we play the Roughriders next week in the 1st round :) And I have all the video I need to prepare now.

Yesterday, the Tyke Eskimos concluded their 2007 regular season by defeating the (1-7) Bombers 40-0. We returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown -- the first time that's happened in my 3 years of coaching (we haven't scored a TD on special teams nor have we had one against... even when we were awful in 2005). The defense was stout.... gave up some yards but in the end played very solid. The offense only ran 15 plays all game and 5 went for TD's -- the offense rolled up 350+ yards again. Most importantly, after a week of emphasizing "blocking" by the runningbacks in practice.... they were DESTROYING the opposition all game -- we're talking in any given play.... 3 "WOW" pancake blocks. And that's what I'm most proud of. However, I'd like to see more of that in the playoffs.... when we're playing more formidable competition. Because we'll need it if we are to have any chance.

Anyways, the team finished 5-3, good for 3rd place this season. The offense set a new offensive team record with 207 total points (+36 from last season). And despite a relatively young and inexperienced defense - far inferior from last season - the team only gave up 8 more points than all of last season and we still recorded 2 shutouts (just like last season).

Overall, a GREAT, great season. I lost a lot of my qualified assistants going into this year.... and basically this season was my "coming out party" as a coach. My assistant head coach... who has been with me all 3 years (and moving on himself after this season)... has been the defensive coordinator for the last 2 years and been a great help and sounding board. And I have a high school student who has assisted me in coaching the offensive line the past 2 years. Together, we're by far the youngest coaching staff in the league, the least experienced, and the smallest.

I said we had to have our best year "coaching"... and I think we did just that. And I've VERY proud of what we accomplished this year. The kids were great, everyone developed, the parents gave us no problems... and we had a great season. This was my best and favorite season, bar none.

Thanks for everyone's support... you've done a good thing. I'll be provided playoff updates as well.

Archived