Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McGahee status

SkinInsite

How many times has he redshirted? He may have redshirted as a true freshman, like most do, and then made the team. He still may medical redshirt the coming year, focusing on rehabbing the knee, and then play a year and enter the draft then. If Gore has a spectacular year next year, like many expect, he may enter the draft next year as a top draft choice. That would leave Willie as the featured back come 2004.

I'm not sure there are many teams who are going to give a 3rd or a 4th for a guy who just tore two of the three major knee ligaments. Maybe a 5th, which we don't have presently, for a wing and a prayer.

No way I'd give ANY draft pick for McGahee.

I feel sorry for the guy, but that kind of knee damage is too much of a risk. I don't agree that he should enter the draft. The best thing he can do is attempt to recover, and, if possible, prove himself on the field at Miami again.

My sense is we won't hear from him again, sad to say.

When Anthony Poindexter (S) tore up his knee at UVA, he went from being about the 15th best player in the draft (according to Kiper) to the 6th round.

I doubt anyone would give up anything more than a 6th.

Poindexter tore his up at the beginning of the year. magahee at the end of the year. That has to be a factor also. It's doubtful magahee can come back next year until mid season I would think.

There is no way McGahee enters the draft, forget about it. His only course of action is staying in school and repairing his draft stock. Before the injury he was looking at commanding a signing bonus of 10 million plus, if he entered now and was a fourth rounder, he couldn't hope for more than a quarter mill and a rookie minimum salary, albeit with incentives. He's bound to try to return to this season's form and become at least a top 15 pick, which he will be if he can get close to where he was. It's a no brainer.

Archived